Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#21) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-03-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital
Very Strange,

I have 2 GB installed and didn't have any issues it shows 2 GB, could your memory be bad?
I don't believe that is the case as I took a known working stick and slapped it in there and nothing still happened. Good thought though.

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#22) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM

I've heard of this sort of problem before, but with different older computers. The user would install a 1GB stick, but the computer's architecture would only allow it to use 512MB of the 1GB.

Did your mini come with pre-installed Linux or Windows? I wonder if your motherboard has a different configuration that keeps it from using more than 1GB of RAM?

Black Mini 9 | 32GB Runcore | 2GB Crucial RAM | Windows 7
  (#23) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-05-2009, 06:25 AM

There are only 2 motherboards for the Mini, one with the WWAN soldered on, & one without. The problem needs to be isolated as to whether it's the RAM or something else. If you have some bizarre defect in the motherboard, you should get it replaced.
  (#24) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Yeah I agree with you cookie monster. The only problem is isolating the problem. The known good stick of ram I put back into my Dell 17" and now it only shows 3G as opposed to the 4G that it has... A mother board can't defect ram to show less than actual...can it? I have never heard of that before but I don't know what else it could be.

-WarMachine
  (#25) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-06-2009, 02:09 AM

My instinct tells me it's bad RAM. Check it with Memtest.
  (#26) Old
Administrator

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
The known good stick of ram I put back into my Dell 17" and now it only shows 3G as opposed to the 4G that it has...
That's very common - my desktop (home-built) system does the same thing. Windows XP 32-bit will see only the 3GB (and the BIOS reports 3GB) but Windows 7 sees the full 4GB.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#27) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - Victory!! - 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM

I would just like to report that I finally have success!! After following all of your great suggestions and spending some chat and phone time with the fantastic (and that is sarcastic) support offered through Dell I finally figured it out! The solution?
In msconfig I had adjusted the boot ram to run at 1G since that is what I had at the time. I just deselected the option, rebooted and SHAZAAM!! I now have 2G. I am so excited I just about messed myself. Thank you all again for all of your suggestions!

-WarMachine
  (#28) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-11-2009, 12:26 AM

Well that's a relief, thank goodness it was something as simple as an msconfig setting.
  (#29) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-11-2009, 05:34 AM

i installed a 2 2gb modules that my boss gave me because they didnt work on his eeepc, and they didnt work on my mini either, but i swapped a 2gb module from my m1330 into the mini 9 and it worked immediatly and xp even showed it as 1.99gb, have you tried the module in another system to make sure it is a 2gb module? try a low level tester as well, something hardware based to check your module in an enviroment that isnt in windows or using memory.

unfortunatly i couldnt do much more as about a half hour after installing the module in my 9 it ran out of storage and froze and now doesnt boot
  (#30) Old

Default Re: WTF Ram - 03-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the help Daewootech but if you look 2 posts back I already resolved the issue and explained my fix.

-WarMachine