Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to -Devil-
Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-06-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarewe
Post some pics after you do it. I would love to see how it turns out.
will do, still got a few weeks before my mini gets here ... ordered through dell instead of outlet .. doh .. now that i know the difference i woulda done differently but to late now
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-06-2009, 01:15 AM

its not to late.

I ordered when the had the 199 special. Then I found a 16 gig with bt for 20 more than what I ordered refurb. Since mine didnot ship I called and canceled it. They said it could not be done. I said I am buying a more powerful computer that meets my needs from you. This one has not shipped cancel it. The india person said no. I said I will reject the shipment and call my cc company.

Asked for a manager and he took care of it and canceled the order.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-06-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster
its not to late.

I ordered when the had the 199 special. Then I found a 16 gig with bt for 20 more than what I ordered refurb. Since mine didnot ship I called and canceled it. They said it could not be done. I said I am buying a more powerful computer that meets my needs from you. This one has not shipped cancel it. The india person said no. I said I will reject the shipment and call my cc company.

hmm, mine shows it as in production ... may have to do that though ... and see if i can ...
  (#14) Old

Send a message via AIM to RustyO918 Send a message via Yahoo to RustyO918
Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-06-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I got some satin spray paint from Homedepot and just taped electric tape around the top of the computer when it was shut. A second set of tape and paper to make sure I didnot get overspray on the bottom section.

ruffed the lid with some steal wool.

Wala, three coats and I have a lid in a different color that is not a fingerprint magnet.

$6.00 for the supplies.
files attached
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
I was under the impression that it was a bad idea to use regular spray paint on things like laptops because it tends to begin to peel.

Please post if you have any problems with your paint peeling, as I'm not a big fan of glossy finishes either.

Waiting on: Dell Mini 9 - 16gb SSD, 0.3MP cam, 2gb RAM, 2X 4 cell battery, Solderless Touch Panel, 16gb SDHC card
Have: 1TB external HDD, External DVD burner, Windows 7
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-06-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
its not to late.

you got a good manager. i just spent about an hour on the phone with them (2 reps and 2 managers)... and not even the manager would budge on my mini since it is 'in production' ... (plus they downsized my SSD drive from a 64gig to a 32gig) ...
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-07-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I got some satin spray paint from Homedepot and just taped electric tape around the top of the computer when it was shut. A second set of tape and paper to make sure I didnot get overspray on the bottom section.

ruffed the lid with some steal wool.

Wala, three coats and I have a lid in a different color that is not a fingerprint magnet.

$6.00 for the supplies.
Nice job, and nice pictures. If I knew how easy it was to customize I wouldn't have spent $30 extra to avoid black.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Devil-
Quote:
its not to late.

you got a good manager. i just spent about an hour on the phone with them (2 reps and 2 managers)... and not even the manager would budge on my mini since it is 'in production' ... (plus they downsized my SSD drive from a 64gig to a 32gig) ...
It can be super hard to get a manager that will work with you like that. When I've had Dell orders that got stuck and needed canceling, I just emailed michael@dell.com (it doesn't really go to him, I think it goes to executive customer service). Be polite, list what you're trying to do and what specific result you're looking for from them (tell them what they need to do to satisfy you as a customer). It helps to point out how they'll lose money if you have to call your credit card company or if they have to pay shipping on a product that you'll be returning (and they'll lose more money if they have to sell it on the Outlet.)

When I needed to use this method, I had an order that I had placed, then Dell listed some of the components as backordered for approx. 6 weeks. I tried to find out what the parts were (so I could omit them from the order and get the parts sooner), but they refused to tell me. I made 3 separate calls and wasted hours trying to cancel that order. I gave up and wrote the email. 2 days later, Dell called me to confirm I wanted to cancel and the deal was done.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious1der
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Devil-
Quote:
its not to late.

It can be super hard to get a manager that will work with you like that. When I've had Dell orders that got stuck and needed canceling, I just emailed michael@dell.com (it doesn't really go to him, I think it goes to executive customer service). Be polite, list what you're trying to do and what specific result you're looking for from them (tell them what they need to do to satisfy you as a customer). It helps to point out how they'll lose money if you have to call your credit card company or if they have to pay shipping on a product that you'll be returning (and they'll lose more money if they have to sell it on the Outlet.)

When I needed to use this method, I had an order that I had placed, then Dell listed some of the components as backordered for approx. 6 weeks. I tried to find out what the parts were (so I could omit them from the order and get the parts sooner), but they refused to tell me. I made 3 separate calls and wasted hours trying to cancel that order. I gave up and wrote the email. 2 days later, Dell called me to confirm I wanted to cancel and the deal was done.

hmmm thank you for that information ... i may do that ... sad part about all of it, is after being on the phone with them. i went to ebay found one almost identical, but for like half the price (still new in the box) bought it and already have a tracking number for it being shipped..
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-08-2009, 02:34 AM

I like the shine. A soft cloth quickly wipes away fingerprints.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Taking the "shine" off the lid - 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Hm. fingerprints or no, I think the shiny case is quite sharp looking. You guys are nuts