General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Dell 11z mac OSX - 08-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Does anyone know if the MAC OSX will work on the 11Z
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM

yes, check this thread...it was on this forum...a simple search would have found it

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...piron-11z.html

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Thank you. There are so many versions of MAC OS X out there. Would you happen to know which one I need to purchased to load on my mini? I see the MC223Z/A which I think is just an upgrade then I see the full version which is VTAM090563. Not sure what to purchase.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM

well, if you dont have ANY then an upgrade wont work, what version is the upgrade and what version is the full version, you may need both, but you have to start with the full version first, then upgrade if necessary

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Default 08-19-2010, 04:26 PM

I've read in some of the forums that even though it says upgrade, it still has the full version on it. I have not seen any verification of this data. I'm getting ready to call Apple I guess to see what I need to purchase. Hopefully they will still help me even though I'm putting it on a dell mini.
  (#6) Old

Default 08-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrayman View Post
I've read in some of the forums that even though it says upgrade, it still has the full version on it. I have not seen any verification of this data. I'm getting ready to call Apple I guess to see what I need to purchase. Hopefully they will still help me even though I'm putting it on a dell mini.
Hardly - you are breaking their licence agreement by installing it on a PC.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#7) Old

Default 08-21-2010, 02:44 AM

You've got a lot of emails to send if your concerned about OS X being loaded on a PC. You must be overwhelmed with these forums.
  (#8) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 08-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
well, if you dont have ANY then an upgrade wont work, what version is the upgrade and what version is the full version, you may need both, but you have to start with the full version first, then upgrade if necessary
You really need to learn to let others answer the question if you don't know the answer. If you don't know anything about OS X, just suck it up and shut up.

To the original poster, the ~$30 OS X DVD you see for sale will work for a Dell Mini install, when used with the appropriate guides and software found here and elsewhere on the Internet. Apple markets the installer DVD as an upgrade because it is intended for use on Apple hardware, which already comes with OS X. Don't bother calling Apple, because they're not going to tell you anything helpful other than "don't do that", especially since you'll be installing on Dell hardware.

Getting an iPad
  (#9) Old

Default 08-21-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks so much. I've read a lot and think I'm prepared now. I do have a couple other questions. If I have an optical drive, why do I need to use the thumb drive to load the OS. Is it because I need the special installer program to let the software know it's a PC and not a MAC. After OS X is installed are there drivers for the external optical drive so I can do future upgrades using that?
  (#10) Old

Default 08-24-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrayman View Post
You've got a lot of emails to send if your concerned about OS X being loaded on a PC. You must be overwhelmed with these forums.
No idea what you mean with this post - I couldn't care less about you installing OS X but you are very naive to think you could call Apple and ask for their help to install OS X on a Dell laptop!

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230