View Single Post
  (#1) Old

Default XFCE: It's faster! - 05-10-2009, 04:08 AM

So I get bored with my desktop and continually download/un-download different things just to test them. And I was getting tired of GNOME ... so I tried to download KDE 4. But it was large [I have a 4 gigabyte SSD with programs - even with netbook remix's being smaller than the normal ubuntu]. So I decided to try XFCE. The full download was only 74 megabytes! [So I have over 100 megabytes still for random files.]
Booting in, I noticed that it seemed ... a bit ... snappier. And I like that XFCE has four desktops.
A screenshot so you know how it looks before you jump in:
[attachment=0:3afc5srj]XFCEnetbookremix.png[/attachment:3afc5srj]
I haven't tried the normal desktop, but you know ... this is fine. I can only really give my impressions, but it feels a bit faster. I haven't tried changing the theme yet.
*edit*
Installed DarkRoom and edited the font size to be smaller, and everything seems to work pretty much as it did in GNOME.
*edit 2*
The task manager [bar at top] keeps losing priority and breaking for some reason. Right now the two flicker between each other, changing when I mouse over them. It's not install-breaking, but it is irritating. I'm trying to fix it now.
*edit 3*
To problem above, just kill gnome_toolbar [:P], and it works fine. Also, I was able to use the Human_netbook theme ... somehow.
As for function keys: Brightness works, sound doesn't [which may actually be a sticking point, but I'm sure I can fix it].
I dunno. I'm liking it - the icons are a bit more kiddish, but hey, I can actually access Synaptic nowwithout switching to the normal desktop!
[Also: switching to the normal desktop is a bit wonky. It does work, though. I'd recommend not doing it just because the netbook theme is better! :P]
Attached Images
File Type: png XFCEnetbookremix.png (268.2 KB, 153 views)

Received lowest quality mini 9 with 512 megs RAM, 4 GB SSD. Additions:
-2 GB RAM
-4 GB SSD [2 GB SD Card: getting 16 GB SDHC]
Sold for $180 so I could buy Mini 10, XP/Ubuntu, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1366x768 screen, 6-cell for $260.
[Extra screen space IS AMAZING, as is having a working keyboard]