View Single Post
  (#1) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to desone01
Default My Dell Mini 1010 - 03-11-2014, 11:42 PM

I just purchased a secondhand Dell Mini 10 on eBay for $104AU. It's in as new condition. I presume it's a Dell Mini 1010. It just says Inspiron Mini 10 on the bottom. When I received it the hard drive was loose in it's place with the single holding screw missing. I couldn't get the 160gb hard drive to work properly. In any case the windows XP system was corrupted. At this stage I don't know if it is damaged or not. I had a spare Seagate 250gb 5400 drive so I fitted that.

I have never had any previous experience in loading the operating system from a usb stick. I made a ISO file from a Dell XP Home Edition cd which I already had. This agrees with the licence sticker on the bottom.

First of all I used ISO TO USB freeware program to create the bootable flash drive from the ISO file. It didn't work and each attempt of loading windows an error missing or corrupted hal.dll file occurred. After some quick Google searches I then used a program Win to Flash the create the bootable usb drive. This was written directly from the cd with no need for an iso file to be created first. This worked and Windows XP Home Edition was installed successfully - well sort of. I went to the Dell Mini 10 drivers site and downloaded all the drivers for XP. I installed all the drivers which would install. Some wouldn't install on XP eventhough Dell said the drivers were for XP. I then decided to install all the XP Service Packs and Updates to see if this fixed the problem of four yellow question marks in my XP device manager. It didn't.

The drivers I can't install are:-

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Minicard Device
Integrated Webcam
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I would appreciate any help in rectifying these problems.