View Single Post
  (#4) Old

Default 02-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Well I gave those instructions a go. After running this command:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

I get this error:

/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This msdos-style partition label has no post-MBR gap; embedding won't be possible!.
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: if you really want blocklists, use --force.

The message makes sense, since I am using GPT, not MBR, for the partition table. I probably don't want to use blocklists, which is probably what caused the problem in the 1st place. According to one page I found:

Blocklists are the alternative used by GRUB when embedding is not possible. In this scheme, GRUB leaves core.img in the filesystem (in /boot/grub/). Then it makes a list of all blocks that compose this file. The list itself, much shorter than core.img, will be used during boot to recompose core.img and load it into memory. The problem with this scheme is that there are many situations in which it can break. Once a file is put in your filesystem, there's no guarantee the blocks won't ever be relocated. It can happen with some filesystem features (e.g. tail packing), or with some administration activities (e.g. resizing or copying a filesystem), or simply because of aggressive fsck techniques.

There's a thing called a BIOS Boot Partition, though, so I'm thinking that the next thing to try is to add yet another partition, tag it "bios_grub", & re-install Ubuntu. During the install, I'm hoping I can specify that the boot loader be installed on the new partition.