News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Battery Issues on the Dell Mini 9 - 06-23-2009, 08:04 PM

After perusing the Dell Mini 9 Forums, it became apparent I wasn't the only person having some major battery charging issues with my Dell Mini 9, and specifically BIOS A05.

What's happening is that the battery charges as normal when the a/c is plugged in, but as soon as the battery is fully charged, the Mini 9 switches power supply to the battery and the battery won't actually charge the battery again until the Mini 9 has been restarted.
What's more interesting is that once its reached this draining state, it recognises the a/c being inserted/removed as the screen brightness adjusts as you do it, yet it still isn't recognised enough to start charging from it.

As I discovered in this thread its happening across different operating systems (at least XP and OS X) and the common denominator seems to be BIOS A05.

If you think your having some problems yourself, try using BatteryBar to give you detailed battery information, the free one will do everything necessary. If you do have a similar problem, let us know your Mini 9 configuration in the comments.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default 06-24-2009, 12:17 AM

I'm trying this right now, running down the battery as we speak. So far, no indication of the problem. Mini9, RC7, A05.

It does seem to have less battery life than before RC7, but I also updated the bios at about the same time. Testing, testing...
  (#3) Old

Default 06-24-2009, 01:39 AM

Very strange, I can't reproduce this problem with A04 BIOS. AFAIC there's no reason to flash to A05.

MINI Cooper | 1.3L | 110 HP | 5 Spd | Sunroof
Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.3 | 2 GB | 32 GB SSD
  (#4) Old

Default 06-24-2009, 01:46 AM

I've notices similar issues, but I believe I am still using A04. I was thinking the power plug was actually bad. Sometimes I open it when plugged in and notice it is on battery power. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to fix it for me.

Ubuntu 9.04 BTW
  (#5) Old

Default 06-24-2009, 03:10 AM

is there a similar battery utility for osx? what is the easiest way to tell which bios is running?
  (#6) Old

Default 06-24-2009, 04:21 AM

So far I have not seen the problem described. Battery always charges and discharges when it should. There may be other issues involved here.
  (#7) Old

Default No problems here - 06-24-2009, 04:44 AM

I regularly use my mini 9 (A05, Windows 7, 3G on) on battery power to run presentations with a LCD projector. The power drains quite quickly but all works as expected once I plug back into the mains.
  (#8) Old
Founder

Default 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
is there a similar battery utility for osx? what is the easiest way to tell which bios is running?
Press 2 at boot to see the BIOS settings page which has the revision number on it.

I too had about 30mions less time with A05.
Is there a way to downgrade?

(#9) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default batter bar program - 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM

I see it in the picture but will this replace the existing one that dell supplied? It offers much more information and allows the user to keep better track of the battery usage. If its not liked will it uninstall completely while leaving the original one intact? Just a few questions about it before i take the plunge and install it onto mine.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#10) Old
Founder

Default 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Some-what Evil View Post
I see it in the picture but will this replace the existing one that dell supplied? It offers much more information and allows the user to keep better track of the battery usage. If its not liked will it uninstall completely while leaving the original one intact? Just a few questions about it before i take the plunge and install it onto mine.
It's completely independent from the official Dell one.

« Dell to offer $50 digital TV tuner for Mini series | 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World »