News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#21) Old

Default Re: 32GB in Pink and Red in Japan - 12-19-2008, 01:35 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the tip. I was just in Bic Camera (by Kyoto Station) and they've got the 8 Gig for about 45000 yen and the 16 for 49000. So, I'm thinking of ordering from Dell Japan by phone or net. Some questions before I drop the big bonez on this boy:

1. Has anyone done ordered from Dell Japan and, if so, can we pay by convenience store, COD, or bank transfer?

2. Is there any reason why I shouldn't order the Ubuntu version (above) with the 32 Gig (extra 13650), webcam (extra 32000), 1 gig of RAM (extra 1449) and bluetooth (1099)? I mean, otherwise it's the same model as the XP, right? I plan to either install only Mac OS X or a dual boot (XP) and upgrade the RAM to 2Gigs. I guess the Ubuntu install will be in Japanese (which I can read....slowly), so I'm worried about not being able to install/use OS X on this version (I would order the 512RAM version, but won't cuz maybe I can't install OSX on it...). All together, it's 54,428 (about 610 US).

3. There was a problem with sleep under OSX, but I beleive this was tracked to some mechanism in the 8 and 16GB drives. Does anyone know if this Dell-supplied 32G also has this problem?

The red model is not extra, but I prefer white or black....still, the rarity of the red makes it appealing somehow, y'know? Still I guess I'll get the black. Wait, this isn't a question...
  (#22) Old

Default Re: 32GB in Pink and Red in Japan - 12-19-2008, 02:02 PM

1. I haven't ordered from Dell Japan before but the payments methods (info page) are:
  • Bank Deposit (cash at ATM or through internet banking)
    Payment at Convenience store
    Monthly payments
    Credit Card
    Dell's Premium Plus Card (point card)

If you're going to install OSX, get the Ubuntu version. You can always download the English version of the Ubuntu software from Dell or you should just be able to change the interface of Ubuntu into English (you can't do this with Japanese XP)

3. I have no idea about OSX!

4. I know what you mean with the red. It's strangely appealing. I have contemplated getting that one.

Netbooked - Netbook News / Reviews
  (#23) Old

Default Re: 32GB in Pink and Red in Japan - 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info. Nice blog, by the way. I saw you ordered the Japanese keyboard...I was considering that as well. You can quickly (just a keystroke) type in Japanese in OS X though, so I probably won't get it. Were there any advantages for you? I am thinking of using the Mini9 with OS X as a Japanese translator so I can quickly look up Japanese or English words in class (yeah, I'm teaching English here, of course...). Also, it seems convenient to show pics to people, watch a movie while lying down, study on the train, etc. Wish it was about 1 man cheaper though...

Still can't choose between the white and the black.... :?:
  (#24) Old

Default Re: 32GB in Pink and Red in Japan - 12-20-2008, 03:08 AM

DEFINITELY get the English keyboard, it's much roomier than the Japanese keyboard. The only reasons I use a Japanese keyboard are
- Wanted to get used to a Japanese keyboard layout (going to be typing more Japanese, the longer I'm here)
- Other (Japanese) people use my keyboard
- I always sell my laptops after a certain period of time (I'm not sure if Japanese are hot on having an English keyboard except maybe on the Dell Mini 9)
There's no real advantage for me having a Japanese keyboard, but then again there's no real advantage for me to having an English keyboard except on the Dell Mini 9 that is

When I bought the Dell Mini 9 there was a special for about 1 man in points (= 1 man in yen) (sofmap) but that ain't gonna matter if you don't keep shopping there, plus it shipped and I got it the following day.

Netbooked - Netbook News / Reviews
  (#25) Old

Default Re: 32GB in Pink and Red in Japan - 12-29-2008, 07:24 AM

Well, I ended up ordering the black. However, it's been "preparing for production" since the 22nd! So, there definitely seems to be some parts shortage (perhaps cuz I ordered the 32G model?). Anyway, lookin' forward to it!
  (#26) Old

Default Re: 32GB in Pink and Red in Japan - 03-08-2009, 03:33 PM

I posted in another thread asking for a part number for the Japanese keyboard. Does anyone know the Dell Part number?

After reading through this thread, the part number might not even be helpful if Dell Japan won't sell the part. Thanks!

« Dell Mini 10 officially appears on Dells website | Wired: The Netbook Effect »