News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Administrator

Default Intel reveals Pine Trail - next generation Atom platform - 05-20-2009, 12:41 AM

Intel walks down Pine Trail with next-gen Atom announcement

Intel formally announced its Pine Trail platform, which is the next version of its successful Atom line. Pine Trail, which will launch in the last quarter of 2009, cuts the number of chips in the Atom chipset down to two by putting the GPU and CPU on the same die.

Intel walks down Pine Trail with next-gen Atom announcement - Ars Technica

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#2) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 06:53 PM

With an on-die memory controller, there should be a nice performance bump.

Can't wait to see what netbook configs will be available. Super slim? Super long battery life?
  (#3) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfruit View Post
With an on-die memory controller, there should be a nice performance bump.

Can't wait to see what netbook configs will be available. Super slim? Super long battery life?
Hmm ... the GPU and CPU sharing the same die thing is kinda new isn't it? I've always been a little wary of integrated stuff ... but for the Mini, perhaps this is a marriage made in Heaven?

(#4) Old

Default 05-21-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELLsFan View Post
Hmm ... the GPU and CPU sharing the same die thing is kinda new isn't it? I've always been a little wary of integrated stuff ...
New for Intel, perhaps, but IIRC AMD has been planning an integrated Athlon + ATi chip for some time -- and of course, a lot of the ARM solutions have integrated GPUs too.

The TI OMAP3 and the Freescale i.MX in particular look to be perfect for netbooks -- provided you don't need to run Windows.
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 05-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Intel tried years ago to develop a "system on a chip" - code name Timma. It never made it out the door. Intel's integrated graphics are getting better - we'll have to wait and see how this new solution works.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Smile 05-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hircus View Post
New for Intel, perhaps, but IIRC AMD has been planning an integrated Athlon + ATi chip for some time -- and of course, a lot of the ARM solutions have integrated GPUs too.

The TI OMAP3 and the Freescale i.MX in particular look to be perfect for netbooks -- provided you don't need to run Windows.
Agreed, I think this can be a great thing for Netbooks. Unfortunately, not so great for me since I just bought my mini last month . . . unless I get a new one for my wife!

Mac9 . Alpine White . 32GB SSD . 16GB SDHC . 2GB RAM . 1.3 Webcam
  (#7) Old

Default 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM

Pineview will be able to decode HD video thanks to Broadcom!

Big blow to ION, Intel certifies HD Broadcom chip for Pine Trail platform | Netbook Choice

http://www.netbookchoice.com/2009/05...rail-platform/

Quote:
The Broadcom BCM70015 is a single-chip video processor and 144-pin FBGA package with die size of 10 x 10 millimetres. According to industry sources, Broadcom will provide engineering samples of the chip in August with support for Windows XP and Windows 7. In October it will release support for Linux. Full volume production is expected in the fourth quarter.
http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/401/401067.shtml
  (#8) Old

Default 05-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayayess1190 View Post
Pineview will be able to decode HD video thanks to Broadcom!
*Very* bad news for Linux users, given my past experience with their wireless driver support. The WLAN card that shipped with the Mini 9 locks up everytime it connects to a WPA2+PEAP access point! Plus intermittent lock-ups when the driver is unloaded/reloaded.

And that's for a card that Dell and Canonical is helping them with the driver (minus points for Canonical's driver engineers too: terrible documentation; driver updates come without a changelog). For most of their cards, it's Windows only -- unless you use ndiswrapper.
  (#9) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hircus View Post
*Very* bad news for Linux users, given my past experience with their wireless driver support. The WLAN card that shipped with the Mini 9 locks up everytime it connects to a WPA2+PEAP access point! Plus intermittent lock-ups when the driver is unloaded/reloaded.

And that's for a card that Dell and Canonical is helping them with the driver (minus points for Canonical's driver engineers too: terrible documentation; driver updates come without a changelog). For most of their cards, it's Windows only -- unless you use ndiswrapper.
I've had problems with PEAP with only 1 flavor of linux, Presto... Ubuntu netbook remix has been working for me flawlessly at work.
  (#10) Old

Default 06-10-2009, 02:18 PM

New Pineview processors leak

Notes:
Uses GMA500 graphics
N450 is 1.66GHz
2 Dimm slots for total of 2GB ram
Way less TDP

« [BREAKING] Dell Mini 9 Discontinued? | Dell axes its Mini 12 netbook, preps 'thin and light' Mini 11 ULV? »