News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Dell Says Windows 7 Price Is Possible Barrier - 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM

Dell says Windows 7 price is possible barrier | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
May 17, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

Windows 7 pricing is potentially an obstacle to Windows 7 adoption for some users, though in just about every other aspect the operating system is beating Vista, according to a Dell marketing executive.

"If there's one thing that may influence adoption, make things slower or cause customers to pause, it's that generally the ASPs (average selling price) of the operating systems are higher than they were for Vista and XP," Darrel Ward, director of product management for Dell's business client product group, said in a phone interview, referring to the various versions of the Windows 7 operating system that are expected to appear.

Ward continued. "In tough economic times, I think it's naive to believe that you can increase your prices on average and then still see a strong swell than if you held prices flat or even lowered them. I can tell you that the licensing tiers at retail are more expensive than they were for Vista."

In the business market, Windows 7 Professional is expected to be more expensive than Windows Vista Business, the version that Professional is replacing, he said.
Some schools and smaller businesses may not be early adopters due to price. "Schools and government agencies may not be able to afford (the additional cost). Some of the smaller businesses may not be able to enjoy the software as soon as they'd like," Ward said.

Pricing aside, Ward said momentum behind Windows 7 is big compared with Vista. "When Vista came out we didn't have the motivation to do the types of services that we're doing now. We didn't have the clear customer demand for such services," he said. "We do have a visible number of customers, large and small, who are actually waiting for Windows 7 and who have already put plans in place to target the transition to Windows 7, they're asking Dell for help. That demand and this opportunity is stronger than it has been in the past," Ward said.

And Dell is already getting its service organization in gear for Windows 7. "Our professional service organization is beginning to structure service offerings specifically designed to help customers migrate their images, their applications, and their management infrastructure, security capabilities and so forth."

More than half of Dell's business customers are still using Windows XP and these customers will eventually have to upgrade, according to Ward. "XP cannot live forever," he said.

To help users migrate from XP to Windows 7, Dell supports the upcoming operating system's XP mode. "It's one of the things that Microsoft is doing that we think is helpful. Putting an instance of XP virtual machine in the higher end SKUs (models). This is another alternative for compatibility. We'll fully support that in our product and consulting services." he said.

Driver readiness is good, with some exceptions. "Driver readiness--it looks pretty healthy compared to the past. (There are) some things that haven't been worked out. The WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab) drivers for AMT VPRO is a little behind," he said, referring to Intel's Active Management Technology, which allows remote access to PCs for security, maintenance, and management.

Generally, however, Windows 7 is much further along than Vista was at this stage, he said. "But if you look at the ecosystem enabling for Windows 7, it is much further along that it was at the same time for Vista," he said.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-18-2009, 04:48 PM

Price is going to affect everything right now. The company I'm contracted to for IT has not IT budget at all this year. Not real thrilled about it as there's a lot of stuff that needs to be done just to protect the infrastructure. Unfortunately too though, IT is looked at as an afterthought. I am waiting for a truly massive systems failure to occur so I can sit there and say "I told you so."

Needless to say, yeah, we (as a company) won't be upgrading to W7 anytime soon. I will be though.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM

It depends on what version the company is currently running as well. The company I worked for (largest online university) jumped immediately from 3.11 to Windows 95. I had to go to each workstation to add another 4MB stick of RAM for the migration. :O The same thing happened when XP Pro came out.

I do agree that economics are a factor this time around. But again, it depends on what version the company is running. If it's Vista, I am guessing they will upgrade more rapidly.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#4) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
Price is going to affect everything right now. The company I'm contracted to for IT has not IT budget at all this year. Not real thrilled about it as there's a lot of stuff that needs to be done just to protect the infrastructure. Unfortunately too though, IT is looked at as an afterthought. I am waiting for a truly massive systems failure to occur so I can sit there and say "I told you so."

Needless to say, yeah, we (as a company) won't be upgrading to W7 anytime soon. I will be though.
I can't wait to try it out myself too. At work, we're still using XP ... As much as the Boss will hate it, we'll need to switch to 7 eventually.

Kevin
  (#5) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 11:27 PM

So what kind of pricing are we talking about? I've never been a Windows fan, but on a whim I put it on a spare SSD on my Mini 9. My other SSD has Jaunty on it. I hate to admit it it but I like it! Hit my Wifi network faster, and the hibernation feature is very useful. Video streaming works better on the Mini 9 with Windows 7 too.

However, I don't think I'm going to pay 3/4ths of what I paid for the Mini 9 for an OS. Also the various pricing structure of Windows really puts me off. I assume the same stepped pricing for Windows 7 will be in effect.
  (#6) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz1 View Post
So what kind of pricing are we talking about? I've never been a Windows fan, but on a whim I put it on a spare SSD on my Mini 9. My other SSD has Jaunty on it. I hate to admit it it but I like it! Hit my Wifi network faster, and the hibernation feature is very useful. Video streaming works better on the Mini 9 with Windows 7 too.

However, I don't think I'm going to pay 3/4ths of what I paid for the Mini 9 for an OS. Also the various pricing structure of Windows really puts me off. I assume the same stepped pricing for Windows 7 will be in effect.
Yes, this is certain, but I haven't read about the new prices yet. Will it be worth it to upgrade regardless of price? I would never jump to conclusions this early, but many wouldn't bat an eye. It seems the OS is that much improved!
  (#7) Old

Default Seven? Who needs it? - 05-23-2009, 04:10 AM

« Dell Mini 10 ATSC TV tuner available today | $299 Mini 10 »