News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 03:27 PM

You may remember a while back, Dell released lots of new colours for its Mini 9 range which were soon extended across the Mini 10 & 12. One colour which did not appear with the others but has cropped up on the sly is ice blue. Who knows why this wasn't out originally, but with my desire to own a Dell Mini 12 and my fear of buying first releases of hardware calmed, I jumped straight in and this is what I received in the post yesterday:

Over the last day I've been impressed with the unit. The sturdy build of the bigger screen and full size keyboard reminded me it wasn't always necessary to work with a crammed keyboard on an ultra-portable like on the Mini 9. The slim design was also a treat to behold, it was very Macbook Air-esque.

On the other side of the coin, I definitely noticed that the Mini 12 just wasn't as "snappy" as my Mini 9 with Windows XP, something I'm putting down to the GMA 500, as opposed to the GMA 950 on the Mini 9. Other factors obviously include my Runcore Drive and RAM upgrade with the Mini 9, but it's a little disheartening knowing that I won't be able to improve these features in my Mini 12 later down the line.

Overall I have found my new "work" portable, keeping my Mini 9 as more of a in bed/on the sofa watching TV sort of deal, where my Mini 12 is taken out for light work/writing with its serious screen size and keyboard.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 03:41 PM

That's a nice color. Definitely like it.

I've got a 12" Lenovo X61 in addition to my Mini 9 and I think the combination of a 9" netbook and a 12" notebook is a pretty sweet one. The Lenovo is for serious work, whereas the Mini 9 is great for surfing the net at breakfast, or while sipping coffe at Panera Bread company.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Great color!

Are you running XP on the 12 too? I picked up a cheap Vista model and plan to change the OS to something more resource-friendly (likely XP), but I haven't had the time to really play with it yet. I do know that it takes FOREVER to boot into Vista (3+ minutes), as many of the users in the Mini 12 forum have noted. I'm sure it will be better with a different OS. It's not so bad once it gets running, but multi-tasking is a problem. It can just barely handle having Firefox and Word open at the same time.

Anyway, enjoy your new purchase!

Mini 9 (910): Cherry Red, N270, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB STEC SSD, XP Home
Mini 10v (1011): Passion Purple, N270, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, XP Home
Inspiron 11z (1110): Passion Purple, SU4100, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Win7
Alienware M11x R1: Cosmic Black, SU7300, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Win7
Latitude 2110: Blue Ribbon, N470, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Touchscreen, Win7
Zino HD (400): True Blue, Athlon X2 3250e, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Win7
Plus a few others not discussed here...
  (#4) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 04:50 PM

XP! I would definitely switch from Vista. The boot time for my Mini 12 is comparable to that of my Mini 9.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Its a shame that Dell never went with more power efficient LED screen for the Mini12. I may have bought one then...

(#6) Old

Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz
Other factors obviously include my Runcore Drive and RAM upgrade with the Mini 9, but it's a little disheartening knowing that I won't be able to improve these features in my Mini 12 later down the line.
I would think twice on the drive. The Mini 12 uses a standard SATA 2.5" HDD. Any of the 2.5" SATA SSD's should work just dandy, and the Intel X25-M just came down in price.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#7) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to miguel
Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 08:23 PM

i got a mini 9 a few weeks ago in white ... and its has a new super talent 16 gig sdd and 2 gig of ram .... along with mac os x. 10.5.6 the super talent isn't super fast... but my dell mac mini boots in about 35 sec I am impressed how well mini 9 is made. Your ice blue mini 12 looks very nice indeed. and i want one :-)
  (#8) Old

Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
The Mini 12 uses a standard SATA 2.5" HDD. Any of the 2.5" SATA SSD's should work just dandy, and the Intel X25-M just came down in price.
As far as I know, the mini 12 uses a 1.8" PATA drive. That is the real bottleneck to that system. Otherwise it would rule.

Edit: It would rule more if there were decent GNU/Linux drivers for the GMA 500

Dell Mini 9 - Black, 2gb RAM, 16gb SSD, webcam, Ubuntu 9.10 & Windows XP
  (#9) Old

Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-29-2009, 10:37 PM

That's the same color as my Mini 9. Love this color!!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: My Ice Blue Mini 12 - 04-30-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigersducksvols
As far as I know, the mini 12 uses a 1.8" PATA drive. That is the real bottleneck to that system. Otherwise it would rule.

Edit: It would rule more if there were decent GNU/Linux drivers for the GMA 500
Ahhh... I didn't realize that it was a 1.8" drive. Nevermind my previous and obviously uneducated assessment. I did hear that Intel is working on a 1.8" SSD...

As for the GMA 500 - it is a product that never should have been.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com

« Wanted: Your Feedback on Future Dell Mini Netbooks | Updated Microsoft comments on SSD optimizations in Windows 7 »