News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally, I bought my Mini 9 through Vodafone on one of their mobile broadband packages. All was well until I broke it and tried to replace it. No chance of any warranty, I've experimented with way to many mods for that, I contacted Dell support, they said they don't sell models with the mobile broadband hardware, that I'd have to go through Vodafone.

Obviously getting onto a mobile phone company about getting my netbook replaced was a good ol fashioned run around. However yesterday, I visited my local PC world store, and noticed they were selling various Dell Mini 9s and 10s, all with Vodafone stickers on, but with no mention of a contract. Thankfully I was able to purchase the last Mini 9 they had going (it's being phased out for the Mini 10) for £299. The model they had going was an 8GB SSD, 1GB RAM, webcam, bluetooth and all the trimmings.

Why I thought as news is the fact you can also buy the Dell Mini 10, in a range of colours, with mobile broadband hardware, something which you can't currently do with Dell or Vodafone. This would be a great opportunity for anyone in my position (that position being a Vodafone mobile broadband customer) to upgrade to a Dell Mini 10 without any hassle or losing mobile broadband

Online, the PC World selection of Dell Minis reflects what they had in-store in terms of pricing + models. They have the Dell Mini 9 at £299 and the Dell Mini 10 at just £329.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-16-2009, 11:42 AM

Sorry to break the news but you can also get a Vodaphone spec mini 9 direct from the dell outlet - currently going for £255 with a £100 discount until April 23 - total with VAT and delivery is about £190 - much cheaper than PC world
  (#3) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-17-2009, 12:58 AM

WHAAAATTTT?????

Is Vodafone discontinuing their mobile broadband-enabled Mini 9, or is Dell discontinuing the model altogether?!?

Black Mini 9, 32GB SuperTalent SSD, 2GB of RAM, OSX 10.5.6
  (#4) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-19-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberfingers
Sorry to break the news but you can also get a Vodaphone spec mini 9 direct from the dell outlet - currently going for £255 with a £100 discount until April 23 - total with VAT and delivery is about £190 - much cheaper than PC world
I cant find that on the dell site - is the dell outlet something different?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-19-2009, 06:11 PM

dell outlet (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/produ ... l=en&s=dfh) where they sell on returns etc.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-19-2009, 11:23 PM

There are like 190 mini 9's in the Dell Outlet site but which ones have the built in WWAN card?

I went through a few but non of them specify the WWAN card... so how are they the same as the PC world ones?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-21-2009, 12:11 PM

They dont list them as having a WWAN card on the dell outlet site but they certainly do - I know becuase I brought one! If you check the spec if identical to the Vodaphone / PC world ones - 8GB, WIN xp, camera 1GB RAM, bluetooth etc, they just dont mentipn the WWAN part
  (#8) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM

3G pricing doesn't do it for me...

If anything, I'd get the Boingo $10 per month unlimited Wifi and just sit in McDonalds to compute.

What I'm waiting for is Clear to bring true WiMax to Seattle (this year).

Then I'll have the same unlimited downloads I get with my home Clear wireless system.

Mini 9 | 512M / 4G | Default Ubuntu install | $200
  (#9) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-22-2009, 08:14 AM

I never understood the US telecom market. You have some really outdated technologies still up and running, 3G still doesn't have the coverage it should and some excellent deals when it comes to WiFi coverage in entire cities.

Regardless, us poor UK foke across the pond rely on 3G when it comes to mobile browsing because WiFi is rarely free and when you do find a hotspot (especially in central London) it's either expensive or slow. If you're like me and use Starbucks' T-mobile hotspot which in theory is in most Starbucks you will know that more often then not it will be down, so your £39.95 monthly subscription (I spend alot of time in starbucks :P) is a waste. Thats why I got Vodafone £15 (cleverly got 6 months free) cause that is way more reliable. Same goes for if you take the train, the onboard WiFi is ridiculous, and when you're on a 5 hour train to scotland it'll take about 2 hours to check your email. In fact due to my flat being served with some BT cables from the 1960's and them refusing to replace them because they work perfectly fine for phonecalls (i.e. I get 5 mbps on a 24 mbps ADSL connection) the Vodafone 3.5G network runs faster and more reliably for browsing. I use the ADSL just to download stuff cause it's unlimited as opposed to the 3GB Vodafone limit.

On another note, who made T-mobile the No.1 UK Mobile Broadband provider. Their coverage is good but craps out when you go indoors, but most importantly they can only provide 4.5mbps whereas Vodafone have achieved and I have experienced 7.2mbps (speedtest gave 6.2mbps but still higher than T-mobile).

I'm glad the 5530 card is not locked but I guess there would be no real way to lock it would there? Even though I am on Vodafone when I go abroad I can use other SIM and the best part is NO USB DONGLE .
  (#10) Old

Default Re: 3G Enabled Dell Minis Available at PC World - 04-22-2009, 10:06 AM

Wfi is free in Mcdonalds in he UK (and lots of Pubs and coffee houses)

3G is a great backup though

« Battery Issues on the Dell Mini 9 | Google Chrome OS Pictured on a Dell Mini 9(Allegedly) »