News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM

[news-img:2tmrui9e]/images/news/windows7.jpg[/news-img:2tmrui9e]
Millions of users have been testing Windows 7 thanks to the release of the public beta earlier this year. Now let’s hear what Dell has to say about its experiences.

Dell, one of the largest computer makers in the world, shared briefly some of its experiences from its internal testing of Windows 7.

“Over the last month we have been testing hundreds of Dell systems and the results are promising,” wrote Daniel Judd, Dell product strategist.

In comparison to Windows Vista, Dell found noticeable improvements in boot to desktop times. We already knew that Microsoft is not only fine tuning boot speed, but also working with OEMs to reduce boot-slowing bloatware.

Dell also reports good things about compatibility. Almost all existing Vista drivers are working, and testers say application compatibility is promising as well, including the IE8 compatibility mode.

Overall performance is upgraded, with tests of transcoding media files being faster than the latest Windows Vista builds.

By now many of you who are interested in Windows 7 may have already gotten your own hands-on time with the betas. Are the findings reported by Dell enough to make you upgrade from Vista or even XP?

[via Tom's Hardware]

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM

i never used vista, only had the pleasure of deinstalling or downgrading to XP for my friends from Vista but I DID get the win7 beta and tried it on my XP-PC as a dualboot. I was pleasantly surprised, it detected my raid properly and installed the latest drivers without any boot-discs (like XP), after upgrading a few things (mostly nvidia and creative) I had a running system and after a few tweaks I got it to shut the hell up with it's annoying UAC.
I must admit, I use linux for all of my daily deeds and use windows exclusively for gaming/blu ray movies, so my next PC will certainly have Win7/XP dual boot (just to be on the safe side) and some flavor of Linux (ubuntu I presume).
What I did notice is that Windows still doesn't get the user access control right and installing under a limited user account is still a hassle or most games still require full admin control (don't know who to blame for that).
when one day I can run Windows seamlessly in a VM AND use the 3D acceleration I will be truly happy.
until then: Win7/xp dual boot on the gaming pc(with win98/2000 in VMs) and Linux as the main "work" platform.
my laptops are windows-free, especially my dell mini. only got troubles with its win-install (besides not being able to do anything with windows' unsizeable windows hiding 60% of the options and the OK/Cancel button)
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-09-2009, 10:52 AM

I've been using the Win 7 beta since it's formal release, first on an old Toshiba Tecra with 500MB memory and then on a bootcamp partition on a MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D 2GB. I had to d/l some vista drivers for audio and video to work properly on the Mac, but since then I've had no problems. The install also worked great on my old Tecra.

I haven't really put Win 7 through its paces, although I was able to install and use my XP version of ESET Nod-32 AV and Office 2007 no problem. I also created a virtual machine of my bootcamp partition using VMware and while this is certainly usable from within OS X it's not as responsive as my XP bootcamp virtual machine was using the same amount of memory (1GB). Otherwise when I boot direclty into Win7 on my Mac it's sweet.

I've had nothing to do with Vista and have mainly stuck to using XP but based on my experiences so far with Win7 I'm looking foward to it's full release. Having said that, for the forseable future I'll still be keeping my XP virtual machine, just in case.

Dell Mini 9 2GB 64GB RunCore SSD BT 1.3MP 10.5.8 A05 NBI .8.3 RC3
MBP 2.4 C2D 4GB 160GB 10.6.2
Macmin 2.53 C2D 4GB 320GB 10.6.2
Macmini 1.83 CD 1GB 80GB 10.6.2
iPhone 3Gs 32GB; 2*PS3 (320/40GB + PlayTV); Wii; PS2; PSP Phat; PSP3000
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-09-2009, 03:42 PM

I was pleasantly surprised when Windows 7 booted faster and seemed to run just as quickly on my Mini 9 as XP did. It is nice that it supports a lot of drivers right off and the user interface I think is a step up from Vista. Still quite a bit of getting used to but I am definitely impressed. So far it feels like Windows 7 is what Vista should have been...
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM

I'm never going back to Vista. That's how impressed I am by Windows 7.

Black Mini 9 32gb Super Talent Kingston HYPERX 2Gb ram 16gb SDHC Class 6 16gb Kingston internal USB Windows 7 build 7229 vlite Intel 5300-3 antennas-SOLD
Black Mini 10v 6 Cell 80gb Sata Kingston HYPERX 2Gb ram Windows XP-SOLD
Purple Inspiron 11z SU4100 Intel 5300 wifi Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 60gb OCZ Vertex LE SSD
Blue Inspiron 101z Dual Core 500GB HDD
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-09-2009, 08:23 PM

I too have used Windows 7 Beta on a Mac. In my case, an iMac with 1 gig of memory. I could not get the boot camp install to work properly. Windows insisted I had to use USB or self-powered speakers. It didn't recognize my internal speakers and amp inside the iMac. Installed the boot camp extras and lost control of my bluetooth keyboard. I also installed Windows 7 Beta with less than 1 gig of memory. Since that is all I have, I installed Windows with Sun's Virtual Box and just 500 meg of RAM dedicated to Windows. Anything more and Virtual Box gave me an error message. The sound worked fine as Windows found drivers all by itself in Windows Update. Keyboard and all okay as well. Kiss graphic stuff goodbye though. Couldn't even play Solitaire. All things considered, Windows 7 is wonderful. I am a frustrated Mac guy. It is a pain when some stuff just won't work on the Mac side. I don't want two computers, nor the boot camp/virtual machine idea. Something is always a miss there as well. I will probably find my iMac a new home and go back to "the dark side" as Mac Heads would call it. I don't see any real issues with Vista. My mom has a newer Dell with Vista and there have been no significant troubles. I do stuff she doesn't understand, but the machine has only crashed once, and it was my doing. Vista is just fine, and 7 is even better. I will wait for 7 to hit the Dell Mini and then snag one up. I am interested in 7 Starter. Don't see any reason to open more than three apps at the same time. I can do just about anything in the browser. IE 8 is not my favorite, but it seems to be the quickest. Safari for Windows is only OK. Firefox is still the one to beat, since it is available for Windows, Mac, and most of the best versions of Linux. I like Ubuntu as well. It works well in Virtual Box as 500 meg of RAM is not an issue. In my (humble) opinion, Apple will not out do Microsoft when they release Snow Leopard. The best advice I have is get your hands on a Dell machine with Windows 7 and make room for Ubuntu.
  (#7) Old

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-10-2009, 07:11 PM

When Win7 goes live I will definitely be upgrading from WinXP. I love XP on the netbook but I'd be happy to use a modern OS on it. Considering how well it runs on my 3.66 gHz P4 with 512MB of RAM, I think it'll be just fine on the Mini 9.

Alpine White Dell Mini 9 | Super Talent 32 GB SSD | G.SKILL 2 GB RAM | Windows 7 Professional
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-10-2009, 08:04 PM

had it running on mini 9 since beta release.

runs great and not a resource hog

-= Mini 9 | RunCore 64gb SSD w/win7 | STEC 8gb SSD w/windows 7 w/bitlocker enabled| 2GB Ram | Internal BT =-
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-15-2009, 01:48 AM

Snore, yawn.

My Ubuntu 8 is the most netbook aware OS and GUI I could possibly imagine.

In fact, it's so good, I don't want to upgrade it ever and refrain from adding applications.

A netbook is a typewriter for the web. That's what it mainly does. Having some Microgiant bloatware driving up costs and slowing down the processor is the opposite of what people want to buy.

The Dell 9 Ubuntu is the Netbook...as far as I care.

Mini 9 | 512M / 4G | Default Ubuntu install | $200
  (#10) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Dell's Early Windows 7 Impression - 04-15-2009, 02:05 AM

I had Ubuntu on my Mini 9. Keep word: had.

Getting an iPad

« $55 for a base Mini 9 from Dell | Most Interesting Use of a Dell Mini Yet? »