News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-05-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sane
If I'm reading this correctly the Dell Mini 9 goes EOL by the end of April, so if you want one get it now.

The mini 10 (Bear) replacement has:
  • 1024x576 screen at 10.1" - nothing great there[/*:2vqmjf4b]
  • Same chipset, same processor[/*:2vqmjf4b]
  • up to 160GB 2.5" SATA disk, so opportunity to replace with 500GB? together with SSD instead/as well[/*:2vqmjf4b]
  • the option of a 6 cell battery, but which only gives 2600AHr as opposed to the existing 2200AHr, but with 6Hr duration[/*:2vqmjf4b]
  • 802.11n standard Wifi (if that's important to you)[/*:2vqmjf4b]
  • basically the same weight as the existing mini 10[/*:2vqmjf4b]
  • 1.3Mpix webcam as standard[/*:2vqmjf4b]
As I read it, it looks like Mac OSX on it is probably possible, the disk is nice, but the screen is disappointing. Size is noticeably bigger, but that means better keyboard. Looks like it will be a bit more expensive as well. Not sure that the 3G will be an option.

BTW the dates on the roadmap use the US form for financial years, eg the year of the end of year. FY09 = 08/09
I wonder if it will have the option for a 720p screen like the latest update to the Mini 10.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell
I wonder if it will have the option for a 720p screen like the latest update to the Mini 10.
Well if you look at the market segmentation slide it appears the existing 10inch is being targeted on portable media playback. Given both will be the same screen size I'm betting any real HD screen will be kept from the lowest segment level to justify the upsell.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-06-2009, 07:15 AM

I noticed that too, it seems the mini 9 replacement will support just 1024 x 576. I don't get it, they make the screen bigger but the workspace is smaller... and no more 64GB SSD disk anymore? That's the thing that kept me away from the mini 10.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Dell doesn't seem to get it - many of us find the Mini 9 to be the optimum size. I do NOT want a larger netbook. I maintain a full size notebook as my main PC and use the Mini as a truly portable machine. Anything larger than the Mini 9 becomes pointless - I might as well carry my T42. Guess I'll have my Mini 9 for a long time.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobumc
Dell doesn't seem to get it - many of us find the Mini 9 to be the optimum size. I do NOT want a larger netbook. I maintain a full size notebook as my main PC and use the Mini as a truly portable machine. Anything larger than the Mini 9 becomes pointless - I might as well carry my T42. Guess I'll have my Mini 9 for a long time.
I wouldn't mind something the same footprint as the Mini 9, but with a larger screen (there's tons of room in that bezel) and a keyboard the extends all the way to the sides.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM

They typed the timeline at the bottom, it should start 08 and end at 4Q09

Dell may or may not replace mini 9 w/ mini 10 bear. but who knows for now

personally, all things equal, a bigger keyboard and a HDD would be welcome

starting price for bear to be $329

white mini 9 Super Talent 16gb OSX
mac mini gma950
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-06-2009, 09:22 PM

There is nothing in this that makes me want to trade up from a Mini 9.

I was hoping that Dell would have something like the ASUS t91 or t101 tablets in their new line-up.

If the t101 comes out at a decent price then I might be selling my Mini 9.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell
I wouldn't mind something the same footprint as the Mini 9, but with a larger screen (there's tons of room in that bezel) and a keyboard the extends all the way to the sides.
I could live with that - I like the current footprint, but using all of its' space makes sense.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#19) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to miguel
Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM

I wonder why they are going from a 12.1 screen to a 11.6 screen.....with the argos laptop or so called netbook.... I am waiting for my white mini 9 with ubuntu os . do people agree that the 8.9 in screen netbook will be the thing of the pass?
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Roadmap - 04-08-2009, 01:22 AM

The wife just got her pink Mini and she loves it. I really can't see trading up as we have a bunch of computers already. The ssd is exactly what you want in a netbook. No hard drives for me, thanks. I have an e1705 and she has a C610 and a gaming desktop for regular computing. Got a good price on Dell outlet for a "previously ordered". I can't wait to get mine and start running kububtu 9.04 on it. She is running XP and She has had it all of about an hour and already called our son in Iraq with Skype and the built in web cam....very cool. I'm still hopping she'll let me load Linux on it but she is REAL happy with the XP load. I think its going to work with her tomorrow.....

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones

« Dell Mini Ranked 18th in Netbooks | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 »