News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Dell Mini 9 Vodafone Configuration Dissected - 10-30-2008, 10:44 PM

I just got hold of a Dell Mini 9 from Vodafone, that's the deal in the UK which comes with an integrated 3G card for mobile broadband.

First thing we did was to pull it apart and see what additions it has. As you can see from the pics we went down to the motherboard to inspect the components and to see what free space there is, for potential modding opportunities we may have.

An obvious issue is the presence of the new WWAN card taking up the free space in the back compartment, aswell as using the USB lines which on other models, have been used for snug little mods.
[news-gallery:sn7i22wy][/news-gallery:sn7i22wy]We used the in-depth service manual to aid in the dissecting, it was extremely easy to pull apart and just as easy to put back together, there were lots of useful tabs for fiddly connectors and thankfully all the screws were the same.

View the high-resolution pics in this directory.
Please excuse the dust, though I made sure the mini was pristine before it went back together!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Vodafone Configuration Dissected - 10-30-2008, 11:21 PM

I there any way there any way a plain model can get a mod to join a USA carrier after seeing the real deal open?
  (#3) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Vodafone Configuration Dissected - 10-30-2008, 11:23 PM

Well the SIM card reader is there in all models, so all you'd need is a 3G PCI-E card and software....

I make it sound so easy!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Vodafone Configuration Dissected - 10-31-2008, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the pics they are excellent. I'm in the process of fitting my own 3g card (Dell 5520).

I'm very interested in your photo of the SIM socket (motherboard.jpg) since this is not fitted on Australian models. I bought a socket but it only has 6 pins (there are 7 pins on the motherboard). I can now see that the extra pin (labelled 7 on your pic) is a SIM card present/not present signal (you can see it goes to a springy clip type arrangement).
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Vodafone Configuration Dissected - 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Great Pics man!

going to sign up for one of these next monday when my current phone contract runs out, so i can try and bargin a phone and 3G deal.

Just wondering tho, what are the major differences between this model and the £299 one on the dell website? it seems it comes with an 8GB SSD (in your pics is seems to be a STEC one?)

was also wondering what webcam it comes with is it the 0.3 or 1.3 version?

is there anything else thats different?

cheers

Chaz ahhahhahghhhhhh

« WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing | Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet »