News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Administrator

Default Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM

This article goes into great detail about performance differences due to controller chips and the "SSD slowdown effect". It is a VERY long article but worth the read.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-18-2009, 09:46 PM

thanks for the link.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-18-2009, 11:55 PM

A very interesting read (but long as you say)! Now I wonder how do the numbers and benchmarks mentioned compare to the STEC and Runcore drives in the mini 9? I guess I'll have to hunt down some results by others.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-19-2009, 04:36 AM

What an amazing article. It's more than an article -- it's like a primer on SSDs with some history thrown in for good measure. It does eventually focus on the OCZ drives, but even then the generally-applicable knowledge flows in a steady stream.

It has a great description of the "stutter" problem of some SSDs (with visuals). It describes the importance of the controller. It describes why they're better than conventional hard drives (i.e. random reads). It reveals the shift in thinking that some SSD manufacturers haven't been able to grasp. It describes the degraded performance that SSDs will have over time, and how to restore it like new. It shows why benchmark tests like Atto only tell part of the story. It describes why SSDs are good with Vista.

One of the most informative and interesting technical articles i have ever read.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-19-2009, 04:50 AM

Great article Steve, thanks for the link.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-19-2009, 04:53 AM

I started a benchmark thread but I can't figure out how to use the benchmarking app. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5353&p=44198#p44198
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Anyone know which controller the RunCore and Standard Dell SSD use?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-19-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAHupp
Anyone know which controller the RunCore and Standard Dell SSD use?
Words cannot express how much I also want to know the answer to this question.

However, a bit of the answer has probably already been discovered. Here's an example, from CrystalDiskMark from this post.

STEC 16GB:
Code:
   Sequential Read :   77.638 MB/s
  Sequential Write :   11.598 MB/s
 Random Read 512KB :   70.559 MB/s
Random Write 512KB :    2.590 MB/s
   Random Read 4KB :    9.362 MB/s
  Random Write 4KB :    0.232 MB/s
RunCore 16GB:
Code:
   Sequential Read :   84.169 MB/s
  Sequential Write :   26.071 MB/s
 Random Read 512KB :   79.542 MB/s
Random Write 512KB :   20.420 MB/s
   Random Read 4KB :   10.959 MB/s
  Random Write 4KB :    1.859 MB/s
According to the article, the "Random Write 4KB" are REALLY important. I don't know about how CrystalDiskMark gets it's numbers, but if the numbers are somewhere in the GENERAL vicinity of accurate we see why the Runcores are better: yes the sequential writes are better (i.e. installing programs) but the "Random Write 4KB" for the Runcore is almost an order of magnitude faster than the STEC (same for the "Random Write 512KB"!). Wow! The critical verification of this that we do NOT have is the latency.

BUT even the stock STEC has a random 4kb read of 9MB/sec, which is really amazing if you think about it. That demolishes the best conventional hard drives.

EDIT: I meant to include this bit of data: the VelociRaptor (one of the speediest conventional drives) has a random 4kb write speed of 1.63MB/sec. Some SSDs are better than this but cheap ones can be MUCH worse. The Runcore looks approximately equivalent to the VelociRaptor in this specific benchmark, so that's a good sign.

EDIT2: minor edit to fix an misleading sentence.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-19-2009, 07:22 PM

I have run the benchmark on my 4GB STEC and the latency is 300ms average and 1s maximum, basically quite a bit better than the JMICRON drives, but not really adequate.

See my post above for the thread with instructions on how to run Iometer.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Long but interesting AnandTech article on SSD performance - 03-21-2009, 01:34 PM

A great article and very educational. I now have an understanding of these drives which I didn't have before. Thanks!

Black Mini 9 32gb Super Talent Kingston HYPERX 2Gb ram 16gb SDHC Class 6 16gb Kingston internal USB Windows 7 build 7229 vlite Intel 5300-3 antennas-SOLD
Black Mini 10v 6 Cell 80gb Sata Kingston HYPERX 2Gb ram Windows XP-SOLD
Purple Inspiron 11z SU4100 Intel 5300 wifi Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 60gb OCZ Vertex LE SSD
Blue Inspiron 101z Dual Core 500GB HDD

« Dell Adamo to be Released Tomorrow? | Dell Adamo Officially Released »