News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Dell Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter - 03-12-2009, 05:03 PM

[news-img:3l8gb7iz]/images/news/xboxwireless.jpg[/news-img:3l8gb7iz]One thing about moving into my new house is that I no longer can have my Xbox 360 right next to my router to connect it online. There are many options to connect an Xbox 360 using wireless to an internet connection, I just so managed to hook my Xbox up to my Dell Mini 9 and configure it to share the wireless connection with the Xbox, thus using my Mini as a wireless bridge!

This is an extremely useful baring in mind how much Microsoft charge for the official wireless adapter.

View the using A Dell Mini as an Xbox Wireless adaptor guide.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter - 03-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Keep in mind that the Microsoft adapter is an 802.11AG adapter. If you ever plan to stream HD video to the Xbox 360 from a Vista Media Center, that 802.11G can start becoming an issue. So while it is expensive, it does have a good use in the right situations. Until I was able to hardware one room. I was using a 802.11A router, and the Microsoft adapter, so I could stream live HD tv to the 360 in Media Center Extender mode.

Good Job on the bridge setup!

-Dravor
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dell Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter - 03-12-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravor
Keep in mind that the Microsoft adapter is an 802.11AG adapter. If you ever plan to stream HD video to the Xbox 360 from a Vista Media Center, that 802.11G can start becoming an issue. So while it is expensive, it does have a good use in the right situations. Until I was able to hardware one room. I was using a 802.11A router, and the Microsoft adapter, so I could stream live HD tv to the 360 in Media Center Extender mode.

Good Job on the bridge setup!

-Dravor
http://mydellmini.com/forum/dell-wirele ... html#p9086

FWIW: Upgrading the Mini's stock 802.11g Mini-PCIe adapter to draft-N WLAN should help w/streaming HD wirelessly using Dunhamzzz's guide that is if your gateway router happens to be draft-N as well!

(#4) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter - 03-13-2009, 09:03 PM

i had been doing this with my inspiron 5100, the only problem was its a crappy old laptop that over heats, ill most likely do this with my mini since it can stay on a while without over heating

Black Dell Mini 9, 2gb Ram, 32gb SSD, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Webcam, Touchscreen, USB Hub.

Waiting upgrades: Dual band 802.11n Wifi, 64gb RunCore SSD, GPS Hack, Internal and External SD card, Fingerprint Scanner.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter - 03-16-2009, 07:33 AM

I too did this same thing this weekend, the trouble is, I was trying to hook up two XBOXs through two of my minis. The internet connection sharing puts the wired devices on a unique subnet so I could not use this method for System Link games because the two XBOXs were on separate networks. ...

(#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Dell Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter - 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUZE
I too did this same thing this weekend, the trouble is, I was trying to hook up two XBOXs through two of my minis. The internet connection sharing puts the wired devices on a unique subnet so I could not use this method for System Link games because the two XBOXs were on separate networks. ...
Buy a cheap 5-port ethernet switch and you can connect both of them. They'll be on the same subnet then.

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter - 03-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Dude, thats an awesome mod . Way to go!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter - 03-25-2009, 04:13 AM

Any dd-wrt capable router can be used to bridge over wifi. Heck, I even used a low-end zyxel i got for $10 A/R to bridge in my parents house.

These cost a lot less, and draw way less power than a mini 9.

-Tom

P.S. An alternate to look at if you have coaxial cabling are the MOCA bridges (such as the Motorola nim-100). You can occasionally find these on e-bay, and they will bridge ~100mbps over the existing coaxial wiring in the house!

« Dell Adamo Officially Released | Dell document suggests 9-inch Adamo in the works »