News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old

Default WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 08:52 AM

[news-img:3mf6l7vl]/images/news/mini12.jpg[/news-img:3mf6l7vl]Australian Magazine APC is claiming a world first review of the mini 12 and has lots of pics and a full comparison with the mini 9 after being shown the device by Mr Dell in person.
http://apcmag.com/scoop_we_review_the_i ... etbook.htm

They also have a second article listing Australian pricing and options (including Vista)
http://apcmag.com/dell_unveils_12_inch_ ... or_999.htm
  (#2) Old

Default Re: WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Good find. Too bad it can't easily open up for mods. Also, the 1GB RAM limit, is that an artificial ceiling for the CPU? I see a price of $999.00, is that in U.S. dollars?
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz1
Good find. Too bad it can't easily open up for mods. Also, the 1GB RAM limit, is that an artificial ceiling for the CPU? I see a price of $999.00, is that in U.S. dollars?
No, Australian, which is about $605 USD right now.

As far as mods go, I wonder if the RAM and other cards are accessible under the keyboard. Dell likes to put a DIMM slot under there, maybe the wireless is there too.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Default Re: WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
Quote:
No, Australian, which is about $605 USD right now.

As far as mods go, I wonder if the RAM and other cards are accessible under the keyboard. Dell likes to put a DIMM slot under there, maybe the wireless is there too.
OK OK stop rubbing it in :lol: - if only we could go back to a few months ago when they were the same :cry:
(yes I live in Oz)

And no the 1GB limit isn't artificial but appears to be chipset related -it uses a different CPU and chipset to the mini 9
  (#5) Old

Default Re: WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Is Ubuntu going to be available? I may have missed that in the articles.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Doesn't appear to be likely in Australia at this point was the general feel they got when interviewing.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini9
Quote:
Doesn't appear to be likely in Australia at this point was the general feel they got when interviewing.
I finally caught up with that in the second article. Oddly XP will be available in '09. Also a 6 cell battery. Some people with say XP is an upgrade
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM

She's pretty, but look at the work "the screwdriver set" has cut out for 'em. -Yeesh!

Plus at 12 inches I might be more tempted to get a beefier machine.

The 9's in the sweet spot for me.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#9) Old

Default Re: WORLD's Second Review Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM

(#10) Old

Default Re: WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12 and Pricing - 10-29-2008, 04:29 AM

I think this one will be a flop. Not too keen on it. As mentioned its blurred the line between netbook and notebook. Instead of this I would prolly just consider a regular Laptop instead for a bit more cash.

« Keyboard Remapping Guide | Dell Mini 9 Vodafone Configuration Dissected »