News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old

Default Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Boom: Apple netbook in Q3 -- that's the rumor being spread by the Commercial Times / DigiTimes tag-team of electronics tattlers. Apparently, Wintek will supply the touch-panels to Quanta computer who'll be tasked with assembling Apple's netbook. Take this one with a grain of salt though -- while these two Taiwan-based magazines tend to be accurate with insider info related to Taiwan-based companies like Acer and ASUS, they can often be wide of the mark with rumors related to foreign companies. Unless of course we missed the launch of the Blu-ray Xbox 360 and G5 PowerBooks.
[via Engadget]
  (#2) Old

Default Re: engadget: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-09-2009, 08:53 PM

For the $$$ they'll charge for it, I bet the Mini 9 will still be a WAY better value, even 6 months from now... and touch screen is still more of a novelty to me than a practical aspect.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: engadget: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-09-2009, 10:36 PM

I thought to myself...great...just bought a mini 9 to hackintosh...and here are rumors of a apple "netbook" ...but then I got thinking....I like the keyboard, rather than having to tap on a screen....it will be neat to see "if" they come out.

Power Mac G3 266
Power Mac G5 1.8
Powerbook G4 1.67
Newton 2100
Mini 9, A04 bios, 2GB RAM / 64GB SSD, 1.3 cam, BT, OS 10.5.6
  (#4) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-09-2009, 11:59 PM

However much will it cost too

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-10-2009, 12:03 AM

I don't think the Apple MacBooks are a bad deal.

Figure many forum members buy a Mini 9 for a minimum of $250, add a 2 GB RAM chip for $30, RunCore 64 GB SSD for $220, Retail Copy of Mac OS X for $129 and then add a few hours of tinkering around (OK, that is the fun part) for a computer with a slow processor, small screen and small keyboard with a total investment of $629.

For only $370 more, one could get a Refurbished MacBook Air, with much better screen, keyboard, trackpad and Intel Core 2 processor in a much nicer (thinner, all aluminum) design (or a new, albeit heavier MacBook with CD/DVD burner).

Macadell Mini 9 OS X 10.5.6
2 GB Crucial RAM 16 GB Stock SSD
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob

Figure many forum members buy a Mini 9 for a minimum of $250, add a 2 GB RAM chip for $30, RunCore 64 GB SSD for $220, Retail Copy of Mac OS X for $129 and then add a few hours of tinkering around (OK, that is the fun part) for a computer with a slow processor, small screen and small keyboard with a total investment of $629.

For only $370 more, one could get a Refurbished MacBook Air, with much better screen, keyboard, trackpad and Intel Core 2 processor in a much nicer (thinner, all aluminum) design (or a new, albeit heavier MacBook with CD/DVD burner).
MacBooks tend to be a little overpriced for the most part. Considering all things they aren't horribly though.

Before I get into anything else your entire post is FAILING to see the purpose of a Netbook. They are supposed to be cheap internet/basic function computers. The 1.6ghz atom is PLENTY of power and you don't need a 64GB SSD hard drive.
The MacBook Air while being thin is a LARGE computer that is VERY EXPENSIVE for its specs and the screen is not "much better" it is simply larger.
Getting a MacBook Pro instead of a netbook...well I won't even bother telling you why that isn't even part of the conversation.

If you don't care for NETBOOKS then why are you even posting here?

Also I got a new Mini9 for $185, 2GB ram for $21, a RunCore 32GB for $120 and a new retail copy of OSX for $75.
There is barely any "tinkering" needed. It takes 15 minutes to install the RAM and SSD and then install time for the OS.

So its a NETBOOK with a perfectly acceptable CPU, extremely small form factor, hardly noticeable weight, and OSX for $401.

If Apple comes out with a sub-$500 dollar netbook I would be surprised. If this supposed rumor is a touchscreen to boot I would be surprised if its below $750. But hey, they could surprise us.
I would love for Apple to join the netbook game as they have great form factors and a flair for style. But I would rather see a small version of a MacBook than a touchscreen tablet type netbook.....there is a good reason why those didn't get mass acceptance in the standard laptop world as well.

Cheers
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-10-2009, 03:02 AM

Totally agree. Not to thread crap, but where can you get a copy of Apple OSX for $75?

Quote:
Originally Posted by efenili
Quote:

MacBooks tend to be a little overpriced for the most part. Considering all things they aren't horribly though.

Before I get into anything else your entire post is FAILING to see the purpose of a Netbook. They are supposed to be cheap internet/basic function computers. The 1.6ghz atom is PLENTY of power and you don't need a 64GB SSD hard drive.
The MacBook Air while being thin is a LARGE computer that is VERY EXPENSIVE for its specs and the screen is not "much better" it is simply larger.
Getting a MacBook Pro instead of a netbook...well I won't even bother telling you why that isn't even part of the conversation.

If you don't care for NETBOOKS then why are you even posting here?

Also I got a new Mini9 for $185, 2GB ram for $21, a RunCore 32GB for $120 and a new retail copy of OSX for $75.
There is barely any "tinkering" needed. It takes 15 minutes to install the RAM and SSD and then install time for the OS.

So its a NETBOOK with a perfectly acceptable CPU, extremely small form factor, hardly noticeable weight, and OSX for $401.

If Apple comes out with a sub-$500 dollar netbook I would be surprised. If this supposed rumor is a touchscreen to boot I would be surprised if its below $750. But hey, they could surprise us.
I would love for Apple to join the netbook game as they have great form factors and a flair for style. But I would rather see a small version of a MacBook than a touchscreen tablet type netbook.....there is a good reason why those didn't get mass acceptance in the standard laptop world as well.

Cheers

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-10-2009, 03:25 AM

I already have leopard retail from my iMac upgrade, so it's even cheaper! Nothing price to function gets close to a mini 9 hackintosh for me... 350 or so for a fully functioning minimac... now that's a steal.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-10-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:

not totally bad, but check the specs : very poor connectivity (3 peripherals connexion : just one usb and one audio out, useless!), 3 pounds, starting at $1900 and for this price you have a 80Go HDD and 4,5 hours of autonomy BUT wireless!!! :?

actually it's definitively not the same usage.

I'm a mac user, and I appreciate the Apple's work on the integration of hardware and software. That makes very user friendly computers and the OS X is the most comfortable operating system I've experienced so far : stable, reliable, very easy for newbie. But the mini Dell and Ubuntu reconcile me with the the not-apple-world of computers! The 8.10 version on ubuntu runs very well on the Mini (far more better than in the Aspire one), you can improve it easily (forget that with the Apple laptops), it's very well built (aluminium would be the cat's pyjama, but for less than 400 US$ you can just dream of it)

and by the way, some photographers think that the Mini Dell's display is better than the MacBook Pro 15 inch
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... -9320-9876

A mini macbook air would have a lot to do to convince me, and it surprises me myself :lol:

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3? - 03-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwbr
Totally agree. Not to thread crap, but where can you get a copy of Apple OSX for $75?
eBay is your friend They have daily auctions for SEALED brand new retail copies of OSX 10.5.6 I see them usually going for 70-85 bucks total

cheers

« Dell document suggests 9-inch Adamo in the works | How To SSD Upgrade @ ZDNet »