News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#21) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-24-2008, 05:35 PM

I think the Resource DVD is drivers, utilities, and maybe some documentation to use with the OS DVD to reinstall the operating system.
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon
I just ordered one. After selecting a specific System Identifier, I find no mention of it on the order documents. The description matches, though. The estimated ship date is either 10/28 or 11/07 depending where I look. Seems like quite a delay for an item that is supposed to be "PRE-BUILT, NEW EQUIPMENT"

I'm curious about the description of the basic item. It states: "Base, No Bios, N270, 1.6, 512K Diamondville, 910"
No Bios? Diamondville? Never saw a PC with no Bios.

Regards. . . . Photon
Did you find out what the "No Bios" means? I ordered one yesterday from the outlet site and see that also.
Thanks,
Morgan
  (#23) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-24-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flansbmp
I ordered my Mini from the outlet yesterday. Better specs than what I would have gotten through the regular website, and cheaper. It's scheduled for delivery today, and while I'm really excited to have it coming, I think Dell blew it big time in the customer service department.

My husband ordered one for the IT department at his university, and has had nothing but delay after delay. He sent Dell a bit of a nastygram today regarding the availability of systems in the outlet. I can't understand why they wouldn't use those systems to fulfill existing orders. It's not like they are so customized that specs couldn't be matched to existing orders.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, since I'll be customizing my system by the end of the work day, but I can certainly understand the frustration of those who have been waiting weeks for their systems to ship.
because the system are returns or cancled orders that cnat be sold as new systems.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloodwo
because the system are returns or cancled orders that cnat be sold as new systems.
But here's the problem, and this is the bigger problem: There doesn't seem to be anyone at Dell actually running this product launch. It's like there's nobody really in charge of this product line. If there is someone in charge, they should be all over this problem.

Here are just a few things Dell could have done to handle this fiasco better, with very little trouble to them:
  • For anyone who's been delayed past 30 days, upgrade shipping automatically to overnight.[/*:m:3u4sbqhd]
  • Stop shipping random orders and start shipping by order date, starting with the oldest order first. Make it public at which order date they are up to, so people know how far along down the chain they are.[/*:m:3u4sbqhd]
  • Give people with orders that match configurations in their "outlet" stock "first dibs" and send them an offer to get one of the "outlet" laptops in place of their "new" laptop order for a discount.[/*:m:3u4sbqhd]
  • Give real, consistent information about why the orders are delayed. Real reasons, not just random guesses from the customer service personnel.[/*:m:3u4sbqhd]
If they had done these things, they would have a lot fewer irate customers.
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-24-2008, 11:12 PM

how do you tell if these outlet computers have blue tooth
  (#26) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-24-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck19
how do you tell if these outlet computers have blue tooth
if you click on the assette tag numbre you will get a list of everything on the system.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-25-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Bennett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloodwo
But here's the problem, and this is the bigger problem: There doesn't seem to be anyone at Dell actually running this product launch. It's like there's nobody really in charge of this product line. If there is someone in charge, they should be all over this problem.

Here are just a few things Dell could have done to handle this fiasco better, with very little trouble to them:
  • For anyone who's been delayed past 30 days, upgrade shipping automatically to overnight.[/*:m:21noz608]
  • Stop shipping random orders and start shipping by order date, starting with the oldest order first. Make it public at which order date they are up to, so people know how far along down the chain they are.[/*:m:21noz608]
  • Give people with orders that match configurations in their "outlet" stock "first dibs" and send them an offer to get one of the "outlet" laptops in place of their "new" laptop order for a discount.[/*:m:21noz608]
  • Give real, consistent information about why the orders are delayed. Real reasons, not just random guesses from the customer service personnel.[/*:m:21noz608]

These are all good points and simply good business. My sales guy told me there was no way they could upgrade shipping and that they would have to cancel the original order and start over and push me to the end of the line. Problems arise, 4%$#@& happens. A company like Dell should be able to recover good will with their customers by taking the actions you describe. My guess is that the supply line, production line, and shipping is so messed up they are afraid to not stay the course no matter how screwed up it is. Or, it seems that their profit margin is so thin on this model they don't care if you walk away or not.
If they had done these things, they would have a lot fewer irate customers.
  (#28) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Some people here seem to have the idea that anyone at Dell cares what the customer thinks. I think this idea is groundless. I've seen no evidence that Dell management gives any consideration to concepts like "good will," "customer satisfaction," "fair treatment," etc. I bought an Axim Pocket PC from them and really like it. They eventually dropped the product line with no more support to existing customers and no more explanation than "We've moved on." I vowed to never buy from them again, but that didn't last. I've since bought a desktop and ordered the Mini 9. In my case it appears their decision to provide no more service than necessary to sell product is the correct one.

This also applies to their business line. I work in the IT dept of a Fortune 100 company which bought PCs from Dell and others for many years. Our contract people decided to get bids for a "sole-source" contract. Dell wasn't really interested, and we buy nothing from them now, a loss to Dell of sales of around 20,000 PCs each year. I'm told they haven't expressed any interest in a subsequent invitation to bid, either. If they don't care about losing sales of 20K PCs/yr, I'm pretty sure they think of us personal-use customers more of an annoyance than an asset.
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-25-2008, 04:44 PM

The Mini I ordered from the Outlet store shipped today (10/25). I ordered it on 10/22.

My original order for a new one that I ordered on 9/5 still has not shipped and isn't supposed to ship until 11/10.
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now Available from Dell Outlet - 10-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Depressing, I paid full price for mine from dell.com. On the positive side, I got it within a couple of weeks of ordering it, I got it on October 22nd, and it was supposed to not arrive until the thirteenth of November!

« Dell Mini 9 Vodafone Configuration Dissected | Dell Inspiron Mini 12 Specs »