News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#31) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-26-2009, 01:28 AM

For the record: I don't know anyone named Myrtle and to the best of my knowledge the name doesn't appear anywhere in the last 3 generations of my family tree or their descendants. The name was picked off the top of my head as being representative of "Rand M. Consumer", since I don't like the beer-guzzling implications of "Joe Sixpack". Apologies to anyone named Myrtle, or anyone who knows anyone named Myrtle, and who doesn't also have an odd sense of humor similar to my own.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#32) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM

I do know why dell wanted mini 10 with 1GB RAM limit, nonupgradable. they fear that would lost their another million dollars if someone/something come up to suing them again in future. Because dell had lost case and texas superme court order dell to paid million dollars back to the customers who sued.

10/20/08:Asus Eee PC 1000HD - PNY 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 - 120GB SATA HDD - WinXP SP3-32 bit

08/09/09: Gateway LT3103u - 2GB DDR2 SDRAM - 250GB SATA HDD - WinVista SP2-32 bit - SideWinder X8
  (#33) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-26-2009, 05:36 PM

DXP: the shorthand that you use to convey your thoughts leaves me completely baffled.

Limit the machine to 1gb to avoid lawsuit from someone in Texas? That doesn't make a lick of sense. Clearly you're glossing over a lot of important details, and the inconsistent grammar doesn't help your statement be any more understandable.

You may have a point. I simply do not understand what it is.

Would you please restate?

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#34) Old

Send a message via AIM to n4s720
Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Apparently, the limit has something to do with XP and an agreement made with Microsoft:

(Main Post) http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/26/dell ... ts-at-399/
(Link within main post "International Netbook Treaty") http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/10/micr ... oundaries/

Black Mini 9, 16 gig SSD, 1 gig of RAM, 1.3mpx webcam, bluetooth, Windows XP
  (#35) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-26-2009, 10:35 PM

I would like to know how quiet this thing will be. It has an hdd, but will it also be passively cooled like the mini 9?

XP Home SP3, 2 GB ram, 8GB SDD
  (#36) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-26-2009, 10:48 PM

I doubt it. Not with a 2.5" 5400RPM drive.

Edit: I take that back. I looked at the photos on Dell's site again, and I don't see any venting on the sides, and the battery takes up the back.

Getting an iPad
  (#37) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave
DXP: the shorthand that you use to convey your thoughts leaves me completely baffled.

Limit the machine to 1gb to avoid lawsuit from someone in Texas? That doesn't make a lick of sense. Clearly you're glossing over a lot of important details, and the inconsistent grammar doesn't help your statement be any more understandable.

You may have a point. I simply do not understand what it is.

Would you please restate?
I don't care if my grammar is errors or really dont give a f*@#k what you critize my grammar structure which is poor.. this is not very friendly forum..

mmm..

Whoa... Oh my! Noo.. you really misunderstand my post, big time.. Nooo.. I never said that someone would sue dell for limit 1GB or something!! Where you get an idea???! DON'T TRY TO MISINTERPTER of my statments if you don't understanding. ask poster before misinterptation of poster's statments.. I was trying to say in the past, Dell was sued by customers. they brought dell to superme court " people vs dell " in texas. Result, Dell lost the case. And Court forced dell paid $$ million back to customers. Because dell use the old motherboard in pc to sell it as new. thats why dell get more and more fear and careful with customers. their policy has changed and more restricts about pc/laptop/netbook.. they don't want people able upgrade RAM on their pc.. dell don't want to go thru court again if someone get sued them for million reasons or stupid reason. get it?

10/20/08:Asus Eee PC 1000HD - PNY 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 - 120GB SATA HDD - WinXP SP3-32 bit

08/09/09: Gateway LT3103u - 2GB DDR2 SDRAM - 250GB SATA HDD - WinVista SP2-32 bit - SideWinder X8
  (#38) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-27-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXP
if you don't understanding. ask poster before misinterptation of poster's statments.
Thats what I did.

Thank you for explaining. I think I better understand your point.

I don't know enough to comment on Dell's policies. That is internal Dell information that I am not privy to. My understanding of the soldered ram issue on the Mini-12 is that this had more to do with the chipset and bios used with the Z530 cpus not being physically capable of addressing more than 1gb and therefore Dell just locked the Mini-12 at 1gb. I think that explanation probably came from engadget or gizmodo. Therefore a Mini-10 based on repackaging existing parts would result in soldered ram fixed at 1gb, while a re-engineered Mini-10 (what I like to think of as the "rev-B") could have completely different features and capabilities.

A train of thought based on your suggestion would lead me to ponder a 2gb Mini-12 that still uses soldered ram, not upgradable, with other components also fixed in place and not swappable. But most computers these days use modular components internally so that when one part fails the entire motherboard doesn't need to be replaced and also so that individual modules (like wifi cards) can be used in a wide variety of computers.

Your use of the English language still leaves a lot to be desired, but I appreciate the restate nonetheless.

Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#39) Old

Default Mini 10s can be upgradable to 2GB RAM! - 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM

from Dell Mini 10 service manual, isn't that good news?

(#40) Old
Administrator

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Good news? No - especially that "Connectors: none".

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Dell Mini 9 Now Just $249 | Dell Mini 10 officially appears on Dells website »