News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#21) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
At this point the only plus to the 10 is higher resolution.
It's actually lower resolution - fewer pixels vertically, same horizontally.
I just saw the full specs.. 1024x576 on a larger screen???

I simply cannot understand this at all! Are the Dell engineers smoking crack?

Whats next.. a 14" model that does 640x400 :roll:

Dell Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 16GB SSD - 1.3MP Cam - OS X 10.5.6
Mac Mini C2D 1.83GHz - 4GB RAM - 200GB HD - OS X 10.5.6
PowerMac G4 1GHz - 1GB RAM - 3 x 1TB - OS X 10.4.11
Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP 20" 16:9
  (#22) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
I just saw the full specs.. 1024x576 on a larger screen???
This totally baffles me. I saw this myself and it was a huge WTF! If they kept the same screen dimensions as the Mini-12, the Mini-10 should be 1024x640 not 1024x576. So what the frack happened to the missing 64 pixels of height? Do they lack the video ram to push out that much image? Or is this about creating a wiiiide screen for full-screen video playback at the expense of desktop usability?

Or is this about handicapping the base model to make upselling easier? It looks like Dell is punishing the early adopters. It might be worth looking at the Mini-10 down the road, with 2gb ram and improved display.

Actually, I'm pretty much 100% sure that the reason to fix the display at 1024x576 is the 16:9 aspect ratio. Its a perfect fit for movie playback. There must be a cheap 10.1" LCD used in portable DVD players that Dell can stuff into a Mini-10. Then the "720p" upgrade makes the Mini-10 potentially suitable as a Mythbuntu platform.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#23) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Dell's Mini 10 Packs a Punch, by Lionel_Menchaca
Chief Blogger
http://heh.pl/&3if

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#24) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 06:14 PM

I've said this weeks ago, and will reiterate.
That Dell Mini 11 oughtta make it here in time for Xmas!
:P

Mini9, Obsidian, 1.3Mp, 1Gb, 32Gb SSD, 8Gb SDHC, Bluetooth, Ibex 8.10
  (#25) Old

Send a message via MSN to kelvin911
Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 09:50 PM

another failure...... people should start sueing MS to remove that 1GB limitation on winxp license so netbook maker company will put more ram into their machine, 2 to 4GB is perfect for these netbook although i dont use winxp. but that is just sad
  (#26) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Lets stop and think for a moment, please. The Mini-10 will initially be available only with 1gb. But there is the promise of Ubuntu and 2gb down the road.

It occurs to me that there are a few ways that Dell might engineer something like this to happen:
1. Initial Mini-10 models recycle motherboards from the Mini-12 line with soldered ram, but future models have a unique Mini-10 motherboard which allows for more options including socketted ram.
2. Dell took the time to design two different motherboards for the Mini-10, one with soldered ram and one with socketted ram.
3. Dell has one motherboard design for the Mini-10, but like the Mini-9 there is provision for future models to have additional plugs and sockets built in to accomodate different versions down the road.
4. Dell has one motherboard design for the Mini-10, socketted ram, and the initial Mini-10 will be immediately upgradable to 2gb if you get a chip from Crucial.

I've never taken apart a Mini-12 so I don't know how realistic #1 is, but I think its unlikely that Dell is recycling the Mini-12 motherboard into a smaller design, but they probably borrowed design elements from it to get the Mini-10 out the door quickly. Elements like the soldered ram in #2. But scenarios #2 & #3 are closely aligned. Two unique motherboards, or one motherboard but on some models the ram is soldered and on others the ram is socketted plus additional sockets for other devices? Well, the Mini-9 motherboard isn't much different from this format. Just look at the WWAN area. Most of us have a blank spot that says "WWAN". Some of us have a socket for a WWAN card. Otherwise, same motherboard and same BIOS.

So I don't think this is a case where we cry that Dell isn't doing it right the first time. I think we say that Dell is trying to throw this out the door ASAP to stand alongside the HP-1000 and the Eeeee-1000 and other 10" netbooks. Dell needs a player in the 10" game, but we see the batter on deck as being better than the one at the plate.

Well, here's the problem: if the batter up strikes out, the on-deck batter goes back to the bench. There may not be a "next batter".

I think the Mini-10 will be fine for casual use, and for casual use might even be preferrable to the Mini-9: larger screen is optimized dimensions for 16:9 fullscreen video playback, and Aunt Myrtle is likely to be happier with a "hard drive" (so to speak) than a SSD. We geeks and hardware hackers would prefer the SSD, but Aunt Myrtle is going to compare computers on the shelf based on simple specs: screen size, ram, and hard disk.

The Mini-10 is Aunt Myrtle's netbook. I hope this batter gets a solid base hit. But from my bleacher seat in the nosebleed section, its the on-deck batter (the "rev-B" as I think of it) that should be the home-run hitter.

Would you prefer a hockey analogy to baseball?

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#27) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: First Mini 10san will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave

I think the Mini-10 will be fine for casual use, and for casual use might even be preferrable to the Mini-9: larger screen is optimized dimensions for 16:9 fullscreen video playback, and Aunt Myrtle is likely to be happier with a "hard drive" (so to speak) than a SSD. We geeks and hardware hackers would prefer the SSD, but Aunt Myrtle is going to compare computers on the shelf based on simple specs: screen size, ram, and hard disk.

The Mini-10 is Aunt Myrtle's netbook. I hope this batter gets a solid base hit. But from my bleacher seat in the nosebleed section, its the on-deck batter (the "rev-B" as I think of it) that should be the home-run hitter.

Would you prefer a hockey analogy to baseball?
I'd prefer an analogy to Joe Six-Pack. You equate geeks & hardware hackers as male only. I'm no Aunt Myrtle. What the frack is up with that?

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#28) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 11:40 PM

Well it has been promised that eventually there will be a high res screen and upgradeable ram; along with the larger screen and keyboard size, it'll be a whole different proposition in its final form.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#29) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-25-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin911
people should start sueing MS to remove that 1GB limitation on winxp license
:roll:

Exactly what would be the claimants' argument?

On topic, I agree that this is a bonehead move on Dell's part. It definitely makes me feel good about going ahead and getting my 9.
  (#30) Old

Default Re: First Mini 10s will be limited to 1GB RAM - 02-26-2009, 12:31 AM

I love my mini9 and wouldn't part from it for anything, but this "Grandma" Myrtle will be getting a Mini10 as soon as the 2gb ram comes out. I can live without a SSD. Tomorrow is the big show date for the Dell site isn't it, or has this been a rumor to?

« Dell Mini 9 Now Just $249 | Dell Mini 10 officially appears on Dells website »