News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM

John Mahoney at Gizmodo has posted an comprehensive round up of how he turned his Dell Mini 9 into a hackintosh netbook. With the hi-res pictures and clear instructions I can't see how anybody would struggle with putting OSX on their Mini.

A lot of sources have been cited from our very own knowledgeable members at our OSX Forum.

Check out the Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh guide.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM

This kind of thing actually troubles me a bit. I think it's a lot more sensible to stay relatively low profile and not advertise yourself too broadly. When things get too mainstream (i.e. Gizmodo) it's an open invitation for Apple to start getting legal on your ass. I'd hate to see them start making threats against this site which has been the source of the best hackintosh community anywhere on the 'net.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Hows coolest! I save this in my bookmarks..

Thank You!

10/20/08:Asus Eee PC 1000HD - PNY 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 - 120GB SATA HDD - WinXP SP3-32 bit

08/09/09: Gateway LT3103u - 2GB DDR2 SDRAM - 250GB SATA HDD - WinVista SP2-32 bit - SideWinder X8
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro
This kind of thing actually troubles me a bit. I think it's a lot more sensible to stay relatively low profile and not advertise yourself too broadly. When things get too mainstream (i.e. Gizmodo) it's an open invitation for Apple to start getting legal on your ass. I'd hate to see them start making threats against this site which has been the source of the best hackintosh community anywhere on the 'net.
While I can see why attention can be a bad thing in this case, I think it may help the community in the long run. Once that guide hit the net, it instantly became impossible to "remove". I made a pdf copy of it just in case it disappeared. Also, even though I was aware of people getting OSX to run on their laptops, I never knew that some models could run it so perfectly before seeing that article. In fact, it's what made me sign up on this site AND order my new mini 9 a few minutes ago! I'm guessing it's also the reason that Dell's estimated shipping on the Mini 9's went from a week to the end of March.

Apple may be slightly ticked off, but Dell is loving every minute of it! :lol:
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 06:32 PM

It looks cool, don't get me wrong. I saved off a copy of this tutorial for future reference by myself or somebody else. But other than the geek cred factor of doing this for the sake of doing it, I don't see what I gain by going through with it. I'm very happy with Ubuntu on my netbooks, so while all of them have SSD capacity large enough to support this (16gb, 16gb, 32gb) I just don't see the point.

Even the author of the hackintosh how-to gives me doubts about why I'd do this with his report of what the hackintosh netbook is good for in this condition: "it's quite the machine for basic netbook activities-surfing, IM, email." Yeah, well so is Ubuntu.

Its a lot of work to do, so I guess you have to really really really want to do this because $129 for the OSX license, $75+ for the external CD/DVD drive, and ~$400 for a netbook worthy of OSX means that for not much more I'd have a Macbook.

I haven't seen any reports of people putting OSX on a netbook with dualboot, retaining the ability to boot XP or Linux. Is this even possible? I might repartition a 32gb SSD and try this for grins and giggles if I could easily reverse out of it later.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave
Its a lot of work to do, so I guess you have to really really really want to do this because $129 for the OSX license, $75+ for the external CD/DVD drive, and ~$400 for a netbook worthy of OSX means that for not much more I'd have a Macbook.
That's why I went back to Windows. It was a fun project, but I have to look at the numbers, and adding an upgraded Runcore SSD to the list and you aren't too far from the price of a real Macbook, which I would prefer as well.

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
That's why I went back to Windows. It was a fun project, but I have to look at the numbers, and adding an upgraded Runcore SSD to the list and you aren't too far from the price of a real Macbook, which I would prefer as well.
The cheapest Macbook is a grand. You can configure a Mini 9 with 2 gigs of RAM and a 16MB hard drive for $400. (you don't *need* a Runcore - you can upgrade the HD through Dell for a little cheaper) That's $600 cheaper than getting the entry Macbook. (you can save another $50 on the Mini 9 by getting the 2 GB RAM upgrade through crucial.com - so $350 total) For people who want to play with OSX and not spend a lot to do so, it works out as a much better deal. There are also others, like me, who will install Linux, XP, and OSX on the Mini and have a nice, cheap multi-OS system. And of course, there are others who will put OSX on the Mini just because they can.

Just my point of view. I've been toying with the idea of getting a cheap laptop for the past year or so. I never thought I'd go with a 9" netbook, but the ability to run OSX pretty much perfectly sealed the deal.
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM

How much does it cost to buy a legal copy of OS X to install on the Mini?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
How much does it cost to buy a legal copy of OS X to install on the Mini?
That's sorta a tricky question... Full copies range from $50 on Ebay to $130 from an Apple store. The issue is that Apple only legally allows their OS to be installed on real Mac's. So technically, putting OSX on a Dell Mini or any other non-Mac PC is illegal, despite whether you buy it or not.
  (#10) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 09:58 PM

The blog "Instapundit" has now linked to a blog post on Amazon which in turn links to the Gizmodo article.

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/

http://www.enduserblog.com/2009/02/the- ... ini-9.html

Getting an iPad

« Free 2GB online storage with Box.net | Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. »