News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#21) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM

I am going to suggest that if you have difficulty understanding those steps then perhaps this is a path you should avoid. Apple does not support this and, while the process is not difficult, it does presume some level of technical understanding and willingness to take risks. I have seen too many people get into trouble by following instructions or scripts they do not understand for modifying a variety of devices.

Perhaps you should read and study some more - starting with how to burn a CD from a .iso file. You will need a licensed, retail copy of OS X.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 03-19-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
I am going to suggest that if you have difficulty understanding those steps then perhaps this is a path you should avoid. Apple does not support this and, while the process is not difficult, it does presume some level of technical understanding and willingness to take risks. I have seen too many people get into trouble by following instructions or scripts they do not understand for modifying a variety of devices.

Perhaps you should read and study some more - starting with how to burn a CD from a .iso file. You will need a licensed, retail copy of OS X.

yeah...you right...need alot of reading n study, thanks so much
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 03-28-2009, 03:06 PM

I used the guide to install iaktos version on my dell mini 9 and apply kexts/packages/scripts instead of using DellEFI method (since it froze up after applying), and the only thing not working is wakeup/shutdown properly. I plan to replace the SSD later since I am not in a rush to fix this issue and I can save some money.

I did notice that the eject icon on the menu bar does not seems to do anything, it does not change or add a selection when I pluged in SD cards or USB flash drives. Anyone notice this? I am not sure if there is a fix or no?
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Not sure what you mean by wakeup/shutdown,but I installed OS X from a retail Leopard DVD using the instructions at http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3258 and, while I'm generally thrilled with the results, one of the few things that is flakey is power management. I find it best to just shut the machine down when I'm done and reboot. Given how fast the little beast does this :-) I don't find this to be a burden. I've experienced power management issues on many of the windows laptops I've had in the past and I was kind enough to assume that power management was just a difficult problem for an OS that gets installed on a plethora of hardware platforms. I've now seen multiple posts about power management issues with OS X on non Apple hardware so I suspect my kindness is not misplaced.

Dell Mini 9 | 32G Runcore SSD | 2G RAM | OS X 10.5.7 | Stock 16G SSD with OS X 10.5.6 as a fallback
Macbook Pro unibody | OS X 10.5.7 | Parallels v4 | Vista Ultimate

« Free 2GB online storage with Box.net | Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. »