News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup191
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
How much does it cost to buy a legal copy of OS X to install on the Mini?
That's sorta a tricky question... Full copies range from $50 on Ebay to $130 from an Apple store. The issue is that Apple only legally allows their OS to be installed on real Mac's. So technically, putting OSX on a Dell Mini or any other non-Mac PC is illegal, despite whether you buy it or not.
There's two different issues here. One is whether you have purchased a copy rather than "borrowed one from a friend", so to speak. That's a legal issue related to copyright. Then there's the license terms by which Apple allows you to use the software. As you note, those terms do not permit use on non-Apple hardware.

My question was intended to suggest that the cost of the OS X license to be included in total costs. Otherwise it's not a fair comparison, since a MacBook includes the license.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
My question was intended to suggest that the cost of the OS X license to be included in total costs. Otherwise it's not a fair comparison, since a MacBook includes the license.
Well, if you add the $50-100 to my original pricing, you're still at half the price of a Macbook. Again, it's still illegal to put OSX on a non-Apple PC, so it's sorta a moot point from the legal aspect. If you want to be legal and cheap, the only way is to get lucky and find a good deal on a Macbook on Ebay.
  (#13) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-23-2009, 10:35 PM

You missed the cost of any tools needed to install OS X on a Dell Mini 9. Depending on the method, you also need to factor in an external DVD drive or USB flash key(s) or suitable replacement. Not everyone has these laying around.

Getting an iPad
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-24-2009, 12:16 AM

According to the how-to article, the best way to do this is with an exteral DVD drive. You're looking at a minimum of $75 for that, at least as I've found them online.

$249 buys a base level Mini from Dell. +$100 for the 32gb SSD from Dell. +$25 for camera, +$20 for bluetooth. Add ram to 2gb, so $25+S/H=$35(+) from Crucial. Plus S/H on the Mini, assuming you don't get that knocked off. You're already up to $430. Plus DVD drive breaks $500 easy, and you still need an OSX license to install, since we're not actually advocating software piracy but merely suggesting that the EULA be "ignored as possibly unenforcable". So we're up to almost $650. Obviously we write off the value of the time associated with this as "labor of love" instead of calling them billable hours.

But you know what kills the deal for me? You need a real Mac to make a Mini-Mac. I haven't bothered to follow any of these how-to installs because every one that I've read that leads to a rosy successful conclusion involves the use of an actual Mac along the way somewhere. Even this how-to article blissfully zips right past the "do this part from a Mac" step.

Its really cool that this can be done, hypothetically speaking of course. I'm maybe even a bit jealous of the people who can get this to work. I'm really intrigued by sup191's report that you can multi-boot OSX with Linux. That would be awesome for me, as I'm fundamentally a Linux user.

I just can't escape from the thought that the difference between a pimped Mini and a hooptie Macbook might actually worth the +$350 (faster CPU, faster graphics, bigger screen) and not just overpriced proprietary hardware-for-fanboys.

But thats coming from a very content Linux user. If I were an extremely DIS-contented Windows user, this hackintosh would probably be an answer to a lot of prayers and the non-dental resolution of a lot of teeth-gnashing. I think there is even more "nerd cred" to running Linux on a Mini, but none of the "geek cred". Linux on a Mini? Meh! Anyone can do that; you can buy a Mini with Ubuntu. OSX on a Mini? That takes a fair bit of work and determination, plus you get to stick it to the man like a dirty hippy by ignoring the EULA and maybe even torrenting the image in the first place.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#15) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-24-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dave
But you know what kills the deal for me? You need a real Mac to make a Mini-Mac. I haven't bothered to follow any of these how-to installs because every one that I've read that leads to a rosy successful conclusion involves the use of an actual Mac along the way somewhere. Even this how-to article blissfully zips right past the "do this part from a Mac" step.
You're misreading something. I do not own a single Mac and was able to install OS X without one using the the instructions in this thread.

Getting an iPad
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-24-2009, 12:30 AM

I think a lot of this is done "because you can." I am a long-time Mac user with a MacPro and MacBook who got into the Netbook scene with an Aspire One. I have XP and added iAtkos for a Leopard partition. It is definitely useable, but to me there are too many issues that make it less and less practical to use. I am going back to a single XP partition. So while I think people will be tempted to try this, I don't know how many people will keep it there after a trial period.

That being said, I have a Mini 9 on the way for the purpose of trying Leopard. I also wanted to compare it to my Aspire One. My biggest reservation was the keyboard, but I like the trackpad buttons better than the AAO. I really wish Apple would jump into the Netbook realm because as much as I like my MacBook, for everyday tasks the AAO does fine and is much more portable.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-24-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
You're misreading something. I do not own a single Mac and was able to install OS X without one using the the instructions in this thread.
I was referring specifically to the hackintosh article at Gizmodo, but the older hackintosh article that Apple had pulled down also required an actual Mac to complete.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-24-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvmdm
I think a lot of this is done "because you can." I am a long-time Mac user with a MacPro and MacBook who got into the Netbook scene with an Aspire One. I have XP and added iAtkos for a Leopard partition. It is definitely useable, but to me there are too many issues that make it less and less practical to use. I am going back to a single XP partition. So while I think people will be tempted to try this, I don't know how many people will keep it there after a trial period.

That being said, I have a Mini 9 on the way for the purpose of trying Leopard. I also wanted to compare it to my Aspire One. My biggest reservation was the keyboard, but I like the trackpad buttons better than the AAO. I really wish Apple would jump into the Netbook realm because as much as I like my MacBook, for everyday tasks the AAO does fine and is much more portable.
I think that's the difference between the Mini 9 and other hackintosh platforms. This is far and away the best supported and most comprehensively "complete" Mac OS X setup of any non-Apple hardware I've seen. Even when compared to other Netbooks such as the Aspire One. The exceptions and quibbles really are trivialities, and the work that has been done by the DellEFI/Type11/Boot123 developers is just superb. It really is the Mac Netbook that Apple so consistently fail to provide. I've actually had bigger issues in the past with official Apple hardware than with this machine.

I use a Mac Pro on a pair of 30 inch Cinema Displays as my main workstation for most of the day, so I'm used to lightning fast performance on a very nice platform. The Mini 9 doesn't let me down at all. It serves its purpose perfectly as a cheap, ultra-portable device that allows me to run a selection of apps on the move on my preferred OS. If I need Windows, it even runs Parallels at a healthy speed.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 02-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvmdm

I have had Ubuntu, XP Pro, Windows 7 and now OSX on my Mini. I am going to stay with OSX unless down the road I decide to get a bigger drive and dual boot OSX and Windows 7. Netbooks are not made to be powerhouses so OSX running on it suits me fine and for what it is worth it works great!

Dell Mini 9, Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OSX 10.5.6
Old Config: Dell Mini 9, Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, Dual Boot Windows XP Pro SP3/ 7 Beta.
Older Config: Dell Mini 9, Black, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo - 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM

I am new here, tried to understand what u all talking about read this couple time really interest with this idea min 9 with os x but i am not a smartone in this areas hopely some of u will help me here..read the instruction how to install this os x on mini 9 few times , unfortunally i don't even understand the 1st step ops: posted by jason o'grdy,
steep 1:
download type 11bootloader dellminiboot123v8.01.iso.zip unzip it and burn the resulting.iso to a standard cr-r using apple disk utility. If the download link eventually breaks, search the file name on the mydellmini forum. :?:

I don't get this..do we need apple program then? anyone can help me? i am loss here, or there another way to install os x on mini dell, pls give my easy /simple way to do it, sorry i am not com expert here..still learning

thanks so much in advance, this forum open my eyes

« Free 2GB online storage with Box.net | Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. »