News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Intel Atom goes Dual Core - 09-24-2008, 12:17 AM

[news-img:3lq923tc]http://www.mydellmini.com/images/news/atom_logo.jpg[/news-img:3lq923tc]Intels low power netbook-orientated chipset has launched with a dual core setup. Both motherboard and CPU have been upgraded to handle better hardware, including support for DDR-2 667mhz (up from 533mhz), 6 channel audio and gigabit ethernet.

The speed of the new processor, labelled the Atom 330, is clocked at at 1.6ghz; the same as its predecessor the Atom 230, but with Hyper Threading enabled. This should allow for a noticeable performance boost in benchmark tests.

The Atom 330 is released as of now but is not expected to be incoporated into familiar netbooks up until christmas. This kind of upgrade could swing the decision of consumers who were put off various netbooks by existing processoer performance.

[via Ars Technica]

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Default Re: Intel Atom goes Dual Core - 09-24-2008, 07:49 AM

typical ><

right after people start buying it throw a massive upgrade that they should have launched it on
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Intel Atom goes Dual Core - 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM

bull much? lol. i ws goingt to get eeepc wit ceneron, but then decided to wait till atom. now that my atom is gettin delivered in 2 days, we get dual core in a couple of month. how nice. lol. well i guess you can never really get the latest technology
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Intel Atom goes Dual Core - 09-26-2008, 05:23 PM

That's not correct... it's expected to be in nettops by the end of the year and in netbooks next year sometime, probably Q2 or later.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Intel Atom goes Dual Core - 09-28-2008, 04:03 PM

I don't know about 'expected' to hit netbooks, the news I have read show an early setup that is much too large and power hungry for a netbook application. Couple that with the fact that it will be MUCH more expensive, and there goes the whole point of the netbook. If they do make it this way (sometime next year) then I can assure you it will be in nothing smaller than a 10" frame.

« - | Dell Mini 9 Unboxing »