News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Administrator

Thumbs up Dell Streak Unlocked In Less Than 5 Minutes with New Third Party Unlock Software - 03-04-2011, 08:57 AM

If your Dell Streak has the SIM lock on it, not allowing you to use your phone on the network of your choice, we've got some cool news. We've tested a new unlock method to unlock the Dell Streak 5 with a software called Dell Streak Unlocker Version 1.22 by UnlockStreak. In less than 5 minutes, we had the phone unlocked.

Did you know that Dell actually stores the unlock code on the phone itself? The trick is to retrieve the code from the phone and to make it visible by using the unlock software. And once you have the code, well, you can enter it to unlock the device. According to UnlockStreak.com, the warranty is maintained because there is no alteration on the phone as with jailbreak methods. It simply makes use of what Dell built into the phone: a hidden SIM lock / unlock mechanism. Pretty slick. Once you see the code, all you have to do is insert a SIM card from another carrier and you'll see the Network locked message. Punch in the numbers and it's unlocked for good. You can even update or wipe the phone and it will always stay unlocked.

Before you buy the $29 unlocker, you can download the software for free and perform an unlock test. The test tells you whether your Streak can be unlocked or not. If so, the unlock is guaranteed.

Before you use the Dell Streak Unlocker, maybe you can try to get the unlock code from the carrier itself. People reported to us that because they fulfilled the requirements for getting the code (they were long enough with the network), a code was issued in AT&T's case. With o2 in the United Kingdom, this appears to be much more of a hassle. We've seen waiting times of 2 weeks or more if a code was issued at all. If you're in this position, or if a code isn't available for some reason, we'd say that the unlocker is well worth the investment. Take a look at it at the link below:

UnlockStreak
Attached Thumbnails
dell-streak-unlocked.png   dell-streak-network-locked.png   dell-streak-free-unlock.png  
  (#2) Old

Default 03-16-2011, 11:55 PM

Please don't pay for this software you can have at&t unlock it for free if your with at&t. If not if you know anyone that has at&t they can do it for you. I could never charge anyone $30 for something that's already on the phone. Give it some time and there will be a tutorial how to do it yourself.

Alpine White mini 9 | 32gb Runcore | 2gb Ram | 1.3 MP Webcam | OS X 10.5.7 | No BT (want to buy 2.1 internal module
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 03-17-2011, 12:30 AM

This software is for people who buy a phone locked to carrier A but they are a customer of carrier B. AT&T will only unlock phones if you're an AT&T customer (and not an iPhone owner.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 03-17-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
This software is for people who buy a phone locked to carrier A but they are a customer of carrier B. AT&T will only unlock phones if you're an AT&T customer (and not an iPhone owner.)
I tried to edit it after I posted but couldn't find edit button.

Alpine White mini 9 | 32gb Runcore | 2gb Ram | 1.3 MP Webcam | OS X 10.5.7 | No BT (want to buy 2.1 internal module
  (#5) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 12:37 AM

I feel like $30 is a shake-down, considering the unlock-code is on the streak already.

Mini 9: 128GB runcore, BT, 1.3mp webcam, Intel 5300 wifi,
Win 7 sp1/Mac OS 10.6.2
Streak 5 with 32GB SD: on AT&T
Streak AV Dock
Studio14z: P8400(2.53Ghz)256GB OCZ Vertex SSD,
5GB ocz 1033mhz,BT, 2mp webcam, Intel 5300 wifi,
Win 7 Ult. X64/Mac OS 10.6.4/Ubuntu 10.6
Dell 8x USB CD/DVD rw
  (#6) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaker5 View Post
I feel like $30 is a shake-down, considering the unlock-code is on the streak already.
I agree 100%. Especially when you can get the unlock code on ebay for under $20.

(#7) Old
Administrator

Default 03-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Nobody is forcing you to pay. If you can get the info for less, do so.

Steve
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM

Is it LEGAL to unlock a phone?

PS. I am ignorant when it comes to this stuff, I dont even own a smartphone....and I use Verizon Wireless as a carrier and their phones do not use SIMs cards either.......it kinda sucks too because I am due for an upgrade next month (my last one.....Verizon has discontinued their "New Every 2" plan) which used to mean every 2 years you were entitled to a new phone....they are allowing present customers ONE last upgrade......the problem is all the phones I like (Touch Screen/Android OS..etc) all require a "Data Pack/Data Plan" which I dont even want....I dont do texting, twittering, tweeting or whatever else there is....if it rings I answer it..thats all I use it for..I own a TOMTOM so I dont need it for GPS either, but I like the Touch Screen stuff too and want the Android OS because of all the cool apps they have....so I dont know what I am gonna do...kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place right now (lol)

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 03-28-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added PS
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM

It is legal, in the US, to unlock a phone so that you can use the carrier of your choice. The Supreme Court said so. However, the carrier is under no obligation to provide you with the unlock code. This really applies only to GSM phones. I don't pretend to know the laws in all other countries.

CDMA phones cannot be "unlocked" so you have no choice of carrier.

Steve
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM

figures, I always pick the winners........thanks Steve...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« Laptops Alienware M11x R3 specs leaked, brings Sandy Bridge to your next LAN party? | Dell 10" Tablet will possibly be available soon... »