News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Expert Member

Default Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Apple were basically very miffed off with a hackintosh video found at wired... gossip ensues...

[via Gizmodo]

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-16-2009, 01:58 AM

Yeah, the important bit about that video is that they specifically told people to go download a torrent of a "hacked" version. We not only don't suggest people do that here, we won't discuss doing it that way in our forums. We REQUIRE a purchased copy of OS X.
Apple had no choice but to respond the way they did, it was flagrant piracy.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM

I completely agree with UnaClocker here as well as apple. I am glad that they only asked to pull down the video and didn't attempt to sue. Even in the licensing agreement any modification of this magnitude to the apple software is a breach of that agreement. If this was Sony they probably would have sued everyone by now, e.g lik-sang and every mod chip manufacture. So i applaude apple for taking steps to make everyone happy. tuts are good but piracy is bad. And there is enough other generic tuts out there for people to get their hands on. project x86 has been a great help to me in the past when i got stuck back in the days of 10.4.3
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM

I don't know what kind of legal grounds Apple is doing this on, IANAL, but I suppose that they are legally allowed/obliged to do what they did. That being said, I find it hard to understand how somebody could qualify downloading an operating system entirely based on BSD as being piracy, regardless of which company logo is usually stamped on the CDs.

I agree that tutorials should not encourage illegal activities. The video poster should have been smarter and just not said anything in respect to where to get the OS, but it's not like what he said was particularly wrong.
  (#5) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-18-2009, 10:30 PM

The BSD portion of the OS is still open sourced, as are a large number of the BSD sourced drivers. This is what has allowed the OS to be so easily hacked onto other machines. The GUI on top of the BSD base is completely proprietary and there is nothing open source about it. It's not X windows based, it's Apple's own creation. This is what makes it their OS.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Oh, I understand what you are saying: the GUI is their own creation. However, when people steal or download OS X illegally, generally you read the headline that somebody stole an OS. However you cannot steal the OS, only the part which is copyrighted: the GUI. So is it really that bad? I don't think so. Is encouraging it illegal? I don't know for a fact that it is or isn't.

I don't have any moral issues with this primarily because I believe software should be free, and I say this as a professional programmer (ie: I make a living off of programming).
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM

The OS has a lot of Apple-proprietary code in it. Yes, they started with BSD as a base. That doesn't mean that there's no copyright protection. The OS is more than the kernel.

If you want the open source part, go download Darwin and run it. If you want to use OS X legally, honor the license terms.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Send a message via ICQ to mschoolbus Send a message via AIM to mschoolbus Send a message via MSN to mschoolbus Send a message via Yahoo to mschoolbus
Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Honor the license terms? Ok, no more installing it on your mini AT ALL (or any other non-Apple hardware)! Pull all OSX on mini stuff down, none of it honors the terms..

If you list things you own in your signature, you are retarded.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
We not only don't suggest people do that here, we won't discuss doing it that way in our forums. We REQUIRE a purchased copy of OS X.
Unless Apple changes the LULA, this is still just as illegal as ripping it from a torrent. Has there been any discussion of Apple doing this? I find it hard to believe that they would, because then they could not sell their over priced hardware.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD 1GB memory 1.3mp Web Cam
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-31-2009, 02:14 PM

I think that people would be willing to purchase the copy for the modification if Apple made a version of their software available that would work on other types of hardware. It is their devotion to the Apple operating system that led the hackers to create for themselves what Apple has not offered - a mini OSX notebook. While it is technically a violation of the copyright, it is done out of devotion to OSX. Perhaps Apple should seize the market opportunity and offer an official version of OSX-mini that people could use without guilt.

« Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo | mydellmini.com on TV. »