News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 01-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsprat
While it is technically a violation of the copyright, it is done out of devotion to OSX.

Last I checked, police frown on stalkers lol.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD 1GB memory 1.3mp Web Cam
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 02-28-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
We not only don't suggest people do that here, we won't discuss doing it that way in our forums. We REQUIRE a purchased copy of OS X.
Unless Apple changes the LULA, this is still just as illegal as ripping it from a torrent. Has there been any discussion of Apple doing this? I find it hard to believe that they would, because then they could not sell their over priced hardware.
This points out the problem with onerous EULAs... while it's certainly legal for Apple to pursue people who use their software without license, it's unclear that they have any legal recourse beyond denial of any warranty against people who use the software in a way that doesn't necessarily cleave to the terms of the EULA but doesn't violate copyright. The proscription against installing a copy of OSX that I own legally on hardware that I own legally but that didn't come from Apple is probably not enforceable in any way.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 03-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadGeek
This points out the problem with onerous EULAs... while it's certainly legal for Apple to pursue people who use their software without license, it's unclear that they have any legal recourse beyond denial of any warranty against people who use the software in a way that doesn't necessarily cleave to the terms of the EULA but doesn't violate copyright. The proscription against installing a copy of OSX that I own legally on hardware that I own legally but that didn't come from Apple is probably not enforceable in any way.
Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is happy that this sort of community exists (so long as it doesn't get too popular or is monetized by someone else).

Apple get the best of all worlds. They get a sale of software (while apple may argue that the DVD is sold at a loss as an "upgrade", the actual cost of the DVD is minimal and is certainly a $$$ win for Apple compared to us never having bought the software). They get to have their OS (which is as much their "face to the world" being presented on another "cool-to-have" gadget that people. It gets seen that its an OS people want so much they put it on they netbook (and that it can run on the netbook says a lot also). It increases the numbers in web-browser (and other) studies.

And, most importantly, Apple doesn't have to sit around and maintain drivers and hardware compatibility lists and things that caused issues for Windows over the years. We all know, if hardware doesn't quite work, there is little use complaining to Apple about it.

So, as you said, Apple's only recourse is to tell us not to bother them ... which we already know and expect.

I can't think of a reason they would go after the home user who does this.

Now, if you start to commercialize hackintoshs ... well ... just look at psystar.

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 03-27-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
The BSD portion of the OS is still open sourced, as are a large number of the BSD sourced drivers. This is what has allowed the OS to be so easily hacked onto other machines. The GUI on top of the BSD base is completely proprietary and there is nothing open source about it. It's not X windows based, it's Apple's own creation. This is what makes it their OS.
Thank you... you saved my breath

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 04-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Apple writes software to sell their hardware, period. While some of the OS is open source, much of the GUI is copyrighted. Apple does receive monies for each retail copy of 10.5, but each netbook that has 10.5 loaded on it, is one less machine that is sold. There's a reason why there's 20 people in each Apple store, get the clients used to the software to sell more aluminum.....
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 04-14-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macncheese
Apple writes software to sell their hardware, period.

And indeed now that my eyes are opened with this glorious OS, my next large-screened desktop editing/warcraft PC will certainly be a Mac. Me installing a legit copy of OSX onto non-apple hardware is a win in the long term, where market share is crucial.

I've been able to get almost everything I want on this mini/OSX. Fang gamepad drivers is the only dodgy thing, and I hear there is a cheap driver to get those working too.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Apple miffed over OSX-on-netbook video. - 04-15-2009, 10:00 PM

FYI....WOW plays very nicely on the intel 24in imac. With OS 10.5 and intel apple, you can download and use an of the addons from curse or wowace. Only downside is that ventrilo does not work well with mic when its in the background.

« Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo | mydellmini.com on TV. »