News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Administrator

Default AT&T SIM-locked Units and the Froyo Update - 12-11-2010, 12:38 PM

The topic of when we were going to upgrade Streak users from Donut (Android 1.6) to Froyo (Android 2.2) has been the source of much conversation since we launched the device in the UK back in May. We continue to roll out the over-the-air update to Streak devices outside the United States since we started the process last month. The reality is that there are a lot of moving parts in the mobile space. Offering a product like Streak means working with multiple carriers in multiple regions. Many times that translates into multiple timetables. That’s part of what’s happening here.
In response to the recent chatter questioning when we will offer the Froyo update to AT&T SIM-locked versions of Dell Streak, here’s the deal… Customers in the United States who own AT&T SIM-locked versions of the phone will hopefully begin seeing the Froyo update sometime next month. In the meantime, we continue to work with AT&T to push this through.
So, who has AT&T SIM-locked units? Many customers who purchased the device in the United States before November 23 have units that are SIM-locked to AT&T. US customers who purchased the $299 version of the Streak (the one with a two-year AT&T contract) after November 23 also have units that are SIM-locked to AT&T.
I know many of you have been waiting for the Froyo update. As I mentioned before, we’ll continue to work with AT&T to push this through. When I have new updates on the topic, will share them here.

A post by: Lionel Menchaca

Direct2Dell - A blog about Dell products, services and customers
  (#2) Old

Default 12-12-2010, 08:34 PM

That is extremely disappointing.

Not only are they disabling the wifi hotspot, they are delaying the Froyo release.
  (#3) Old

Default quite simply a fool for buying your product. - 12-31-2010, 05:25 PM

As stated in the title. I was a fool for buying your product. I purchased my streak day one on the release at best buy with several statements from dell saying the update would be out before the end of the year. After 2 weeks I couldn't believe the litany of issues I found with the dell streak. Horrendous battery life. If you got a days worth you were lucky. Proprietary overpriced cable. Back plate would repeatedly come off. Rear plate label peeled off in two weeks. Gorilla glass edges would begin to pry off. Hardware software functionality issues. Look at how many steps it takes you to send someone a picture using this phone. Its absurd. Now further delays of 2.2 and even further reduction in functionality.

You actions in the industry have been commonplace. Develop and build the product, shove it into market and those people that built the product have left it high and dry and have moved onto another phase of new product development. Ongoing support goes on to a new group or gets outsourced quickly. I have been in this industry 25 years. I see it all the time.

We as a consumer were lied to outright to get us to buy your phone with veiled promises. Its documented clearly throughout your websites and on twitter. Personally you should be giving refunds to those customers that request them with an apology. Its simple. Every time I get the chance and I pull out my phone and someone asks "eww what is that?". The first words out of my mouth will be "Its a Dell phone, avoid it like the plague. " Does this impace you or do you care. Probably not. Again, you've moved on. Dell streak is old and you slashed the product to $100 with 2 year contract before Christmas cause you couldn't move the product. Again though, it will be the last product I ever buy from your company again. Say hi to your friends in Japan.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 12-31-2010, 08:11 PM

Ah, Julian, did you somehow think this was a Dell-run forum? It isn't. Nice of you to do a hit-and-run on us. I doubt you'll be back.

This general issue - OS updates for SIM-locked devices - is not new or unique to the Streak. It's pretty much how all the phone world works in the US. If you buy a subsidized and hence SIM-locked phone, OS upgrades are at the mercy of the carrier. As a former Palm Treo owner I went through this at least twice.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

Tags
dell, froyo, streak, update

« Dell Venue launched in Hong Kong | Dell Streak 7 announced today at the CES show »