News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 12:47 AM

LaptopMag got hold of a Dell Mini 10 at CES and given the overall look and feel a positive review, as well as an insight to some of the Mini 10s redeeming features.

Notable features are a new-macbook style trackpad/button, 6 cell battery option and a 1024 x 576 resolution.

Hit the via link for more.

[via LaptopMag]

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 03:53 AM

I really hope that 1024x576 is a temporary solution for these prototypes. That's far from the 1280x720 required by 720p, which they prominently claimed this machine would do.. Epic FAIL..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 07:43 AM

720p on a netbook ? Does it really necessary ?
  (#4) Old

Send a message via MSN to kelvin911
Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM

damn, when is dell selling mini10??? i received my mini9 on dec 15, can i refund?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 04:16 PM

So the screen has got bigger? It claimes 720P HD Resolutions...

But it actualt fact the resolution has dropped by 24 lines.......

This better only be for the prototype. the small horizontal resolution is the only thing stopping me get a dell mini!! aGHHHHHH!!
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin911
damn, when is dell selling mini10??? i received my mini9 on dec 15, can i refund?
You must be new to buying computer hardware :mrgreen:

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 04:37 PM

I spent at least 2 hours fuming mad over the $350 rebate for ATT WAN as I purchased my machine in december as well and dell only has a 21 day return policy. I realize my credit card didn't have an extended return option and dell's competition only offered 21 day return as well. Of course, a few days later the mini 10 came out, so I just plan to sell my WWAN enabled mini-9 on ebay when the 10 comes out.
  (#8) Old

Smile Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 07:39 PM

I guess it all depends on your perspective.

Why was I drawn to contemplating purchasing a "netbook"?
1. Small form factor.
2. Relatively reasonable pricing.
3. More than my x50v.
4. Less than my XPS M1330.
5. SSD storage.

The Mini 10 is 2" longer than the 9, and perhaps slightly heavier. Not sure about the cost premium yet. The 10's keyboard sounds nice, but I have small hands and the 9's is acceptable for my purposes. TV tuner? The more gizmos that is added on will likely take its toll on the battery. 1024x600 on the 9" display seems fine to me; increasing rez will mean breaking out my reading glasses. But to each his/her own... I use (and plan to use) mine primarily for the internet and email. Perhaps to play some tunes, carry a photo album or Skype a friend. Also, over 80% of my mobility is by motorcycle, and is why a small form factor (with SSD) is at the top of my list.

Mini9, Obsidian, 1.3Mp, 1Gb, 32Gb SSD, 8Gb SDHC, Bluetooth, Ibex 8.10
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 11:26 PM

This looks like it may be a great little device, however it appears that all of the major players in the netbook market seem to be running in the same direction. Introducing more onboard devices is all very well but it seems to me that they are loosing their way a little in respect of the term "Netbook". Making these devices larger, heavier, more fragile, and more expensive will defeat the very purpose of what the first generation of netbooks were designed for. What are the chances that the next generation or so of netbooks will be offering in-built optical drives?

The original Eee 701 was hardly a technical revolution but it was the simplicity, pricing, portability, SSD's, and accessibility of the device which really captured peoples imagination. The Dell Mini 9 despite arriving a little late still stays true to what a "Netbook" is all about and I personally prefer the 8.9" form factor over the 10" versions because of this. IMHO Dell should have included a 6 cell battery, end-to-end keyboard, Draft-N, and possibly the WWAN slot as standard on the Mini 9 and I think that it would be even more popular than it currently is. Everything else such as GPS functionality can be achieved via USB or Bluetooth as required so there would also have been a good opportunity for Dell to sell branded accessories such as these for the device. A built in TV tuner would not interest me in the slightest as I currently use Zattoo which gives me everything I require. Not sure what other people think but I hope that netbooks aren't just going to morph into standard notebooks over the next few years...
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-14-2009, 11:42 PM

Simonb, I couldn't agree with you more. From the feedback, it sounds as though there are many folks who are looking for an answer to the expensive cost of miniature laptops (the ultralight notebooks, etc.). I think that's where the interest really lies.

Mini9, Obsidian, 1.3Mp, 1Gb, 32Gb SSD, 8Gb SDHC, Bluetooth, Ibex 8.10

« Top Dell execs leave as PC maker restructures | RunCore and MDD Team Up: High Speed Results »