News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-15-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroMan
720p on a netbook ? Does it really necessary ?
I'd really be happier with 1080p. Oh yes. You think I jest? How awesome would a 1080p 10" LED LCD be? Let me tell you.
Unbelievably awesome.

Would I buy it? I would be compelled as if by demons.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-15-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroMan
720p on a netbook ? Does it really necessary ?
I'd really be happier with 1080p. Oh yes. You think I jest? How awesome would a 1080p 10" LED LCD be? Let me tell you.
Unbelievably awesome.

Would I buy it? I would be compelled as if by demons.
Hehe, imagine the pixel density! Probably great for movies... but if I had to read anything, I'm gonna need a new prescription for my reading glasses.

:lol:

Mini9, Obsidian, 1.3Mp, 1Gb, 32Gb SSD, 8Gb SDHC, Bluetooth, Ibex 8.10
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-15-2009, 06:09 AM

Ditto. I have a 15" Thinkpad for work with a 1920x1080 screen, which is what we're talking about here, and while it is GREAT when its hooked up to my 24" monitor in my cube, working on it by itself will make your eyes tired after a while. Despite the weight, I'm thinking I'll move to a 17" or 18" laptop next time.

I think a netbook needs to be small and portable. I have the Mini 9, and while I love the size, I agree that the screen resolution could use some work, especially in the vertical, where 600 pixels means too much scrolling. Its possible that I would think differently if I had multitouch on the trackpad, or a wheel or something to scroll more easily AND the scrolling was responsive. But I'd really prefer a higher screen resolution. That said, it needs to be readable. So the next netbook for me will be a 10" or 11" probably, with something like a 1280x720 or possible 1368x768 resolution.

I think.

But it still needs to be small and thin and CHEAP. Meaning under $500.

Manufacturers should feel free to innovate all they want to maintain their prices, but I won't be buying anything over $500.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM

I also hope Dell comes through and delivers a higher resolution screen on the Mini 10. The 600px height of the Mini 9 is probably my biggest complaint.

You all need to realize that a higher resolution screen will be EASIER to read, not harder, as long as you set your DPI correctly. This is a major problem for both Ubuntu and Windows users, since they both default to 96 DPI. The Mini 9 is 134 DPI. If you don't set this correctly, then fonts wont render at the appropriate size, and you'll need to use your glasses! Running a higher resolution should only make fonts and (scalable) graphics look clearer and sharper--just like in TV or games.

I would like to know if the Mini 10 has a backlit keyboard...I'm typing in the dark now on my Mini 9 and it would be very much appreciated!
  (#15) Old

Send a message via MSN to slatergs
Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-20-2009, 02:37 AM

Sony just came out with a 1600x768 resolution on an 8" screen, i'd hope Dell can do a little better than their current resolution on the 10". I don't need full 1080p, but I would like the option of higher resolution, then on certain programs I could atleast reach all the options. I have been using it for some web design. Works great for the most part except a few options for exporting in photoshop are not viewable.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM

What interests me in the Dell mini 10 is the larger keyboard. Even with small fingers, I find the mini 9 keyboard irksome when typing long emails. I would welcome a larger keyboard if the price is right.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-21-2009, 01:06 AM

My Mini 9 got delayed, again, so now I'm seriously contemplating canceling and holding out for the Mini 10. It'd be nice if someone had an idea of when it's coming...2 weeks, 6 months...Xmas?

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black, 64GB Runcore SSD, 2GB RAM, BT, 1.3MP, IOGEAR BT Mouse, 500GB WD Elite HD, LG GP08 DVD Drive, 16GB Transcend SDHC, AT&T Quicksilver 3G Aircard, Timbuktu Sleeve, Case Logic Case
  (#18) Old

Send a message via MSN to slatergs
Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-21-2009, 02:32 AM

I actually don't have any problems typing with the keyboard. I really have gotten used to it and can type quite fast, so that is not what I am initially looking at, obviously would be nice to have a little bigger, but it works for me. I like that there is no more bezel around the screen as well as the new touchpad without the buttons.I am also curious as to when it will be released, because I have a friend looking for a mini 9 and I could sell mine to him and buy the mini 10, but it probably will be awhile yet so that may be out of the picture.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-21-2009, 07:01 AM

I as well would buy one for the larger keyboard. Course, who would not love an larger LED display
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 10 Hands On - 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstutman
I as well would buy one for the larger keyboard. Course, who would not love an larger LED display
I prefer 9" over 10". I bought the Mini 9 because of its small size and weight as I can always work on my desktop. Even though theyve done alot of things right on the new Mini 10, I think Ill rather change the keyboard on my Mini9 to have more keys available.

« Top Dell execs leave as PC maker restructures | RunCore and MDD Team Up: High Speed Results »