News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Introducing the Dell USB Soundbar for your Dell Mini - 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM

If you were at IFA 2010 last week and saw the Dell booth (unfortunately I wasn't) you would have noticed that sitting atop the new Dell Mini 1018 was a previously unseen device. The "Portable USB Soundbar" is a set of stereo speakers which plug into a USB port on your netbook/notebook and provides you with an enhanced sound experience. It draws both power and sound from that one USB port.
The specs say it come with that stylish carry-case you see in the picture for ultimate portability; it also comes with a mounting clip to attach it securely to the top of your Dell Mini.

It looks like this accessory was built with Dell Mini 1018 owners in mind, as it only comes with one mono speaker. If you're interested in boosting the sound on your Dell Mini (or any Netbook for that matter) you can purchase the Dell USB Soundbar for £37.99 from Dell UK or for $34.99 from Dell US. Yeah wtf pricing for the UK I know!

Our friends over at Netbook News actually went to IFA and had a play with the Soundbar and official Dell DVD Recorder:

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default 09-08-2010, 05:27 AM

I've been using an Insignia (Best Buy) soundbar with my Dell Mini 9 hackintosh for a couple months and have been happy with it. I had been using another pair of flat panel Insignia speakers that get USB power and plug into the headphone jack, but this one is a lot easier to work with. It does produce stereo sound, but you need to get pretty close to it to perceive the separation.

One issue is the curvature of the lip of the lid. You might want to add some material to the back clip to add thickness and give a firmer attachment or it will lean forward a bit. Maybe the Dell speaker has a better grip. I have... another thing on my lid that helps about which I've been meaning to post photos once I can find my camera and some good batteries for it at the same time.

Another thing that annoys me is that the USB cable is not detachable from the Insignia speaker. While I can easily route the cable out of the way (due to my lid mod) it is a bit long and does not have a right-angle USB connection (or rather "left-angle" if you know what I mean) so it sticks out. I'm tempted to splice a new connector on it (any recommended tutorials?).

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.6 | NetbookInstaller 20100616212351 | A04 BIOS | 16 GB SSD | 1 TB HDD attached | BT | 2 GB RAM | 8-cell battery | DisplayLink 1.5 | Apple Wireless Keyboard | Apple Magic Trackpad | Insomnia
  (#3) Old

Default It's onsale today - 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Looks like it's today's Dell Daily Deal for $19.99 + tax, free shipping (3-5 Business Days).

DELL Dell Daily Deal PS511 Portable USB Sound Bar : Desktop Accessories | Dell
  (#4) Old

Default 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM

I bought one of these for £23 a couple of weeks ago - see my post in the Mini 1018 sub-forum.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#5) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 09-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookheather View Post
I bought one of these for £23 a couple of weeks ago - see my post in the Mini 1018 sub-forum.
Yeah I saw it, you got it for an absolute steal!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 09-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Consider as an alternative the iHome iHM7 Rechargeable Mini Speaker. I just got one of these and it's pretty nifty. Works with anything that has a 1/8" audio jack and recharges by USB. Tiny, too, and it sounds good.

Currently $16.29 at amazon.com. I don't find it at amazon.co.uk

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« A few Dell Streak Updates | Dell Mini 1018 Now available from Dell US »