News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Official O2 Dell Streak Android 2.1 Update Released - 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM

It's been a painful 2 days for everyone eagerly waiting for the official 2.1 update from O2. Well, it's finally here!
For those of you who took the reserved approach with their Streak and never used a leaked 2.1 build, the upgrade should be easy. O2 have written a Dell Streak update guide which tells you everything you need to know once you get that heavenly update notification.

Check for updates on your Dell Streak by going to Settings > About Phone > System Updates

If you need a direct link to the update scan this QR code with your Streak and visit the URL (it's clickable too!)
Scan this code with your smartphone

O2 State this update will wipe your device, so be sure to back up everything to your microSD using backup software such as MyBackUp Pro.

This update will load Android 2.1 on to your Dell Streak and enable some much anticipated features such as 720p Video recording, 3rd-party multi-touch support, improved UI, bigger app market and much, much more. This obviously isn't new stuff for the Streak as there was a leaked 2.1 update a couple of weeks ago, but this update is official and should be free of bugs. Another big reason for all the fuss is that this is the first official Dell Streak update to have surfaced, so we will get an idea on how well these things will actually roll out.

Of course this update is currently only for Dell Streaks that were brought through and locked to O2 - notably those with the baseband ending in 21. I am sure it won't be long before the ROMs are released for other devices though.

This certainly won't be the last update, O2 have confirmed 2.2 is in the works via Twitter. Lovely stuff. Once you do get your 2.1 loaded onto your Streak, let us know how you're getting on in our Official O2 update thread.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default Backup b4 doing update - 09-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Hi Dunhamzzz,
What is the best app for backing-up especially the contacts?
I need to do this b4 I upgrade my Streak, unless the new update won't wipe out my contacts,... would it?
Thanks.

Regards,
Gatz
  (#3) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatz View Post
Hi Dunhamzzz,
What is the best app for backing-up especially the contacts?
I need to do this b4 I upgrade my Streak, unless the new update won't wipe out my contacts,... would it?
Thanks.

Regards,
Gatz
It will wipe everything, including your contacts. I personally use MyBackup Pro yo backup my stuff.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#4) Old

Default 09-03-2010, 02:18 PM

To note - this update *is* available for a direct-purchased Dell, not O2, for me. Downloading over 3G right now, via the Settings menu - no direct URL.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM

have just downloaded and installed the update and the Streak has crashed at the Dell opening screen. Will not even switch off. Have rebooted by removing battery and the same happens. What next!
  (#6) Old

Default 09-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Need help with Android 2.1 upgrade to Dell Streak which hangs with Dell Logo on screen and cannot even be switched off. Removal/reinstall battery doesn't help. The phone is now useless. How do I get back to Android 1.6?
  (#7) Old

Default Free of bugs? laughable - 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM

Still all the same syncing problems. I cant believe a "leaked" version of the OS is better than dell's official update.

I'm beginning to think Dell was hoping to capture the market by being the first android tablet on the market, regardless of out-dated software, and applications that don't work properly.

Lets just hope Samsung / Viewsonic / others who are bringing out tablet devices take note of how poorly dell has performed, and dont repeat the mistakes.
  (#8) Old

Default 09-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
To note - this update *is* available for a direct-purchased Dell, not O2, for me. Downloading over 3G right now, via the Settings menu - no direct URL.
How did it go Peter? I had an update on my direct purchased streak today (89mb) but still on 1.6......
  (#9) Old

Default 09-04-2010, 08:14 AM

I want to go back to leaked 2.1 !!!!

Can someone help please...

my back, menu and home button flashes and goes off instead of staying lit.
Any idea?

Thanks
  (#10) Old

Default 09-04-2010, 10:12 AM

hi everyone,
I'm a total newbie to this so please be gentle with me.
I've completed the long awaited 2.1 upgrade (wished I hadn't) and backed up everything with 'my back up pro'. The problem I'm having is that when Ive tried downloading 'back-up pro' from the market place it just says its authorizing and it doesn't seem to be downloading, therefore I've got no contacts etc, is anyone else experiencing this problem...??
Also Dell PC suite keeps showing the streak as disconnected therefore unable to sync contacts that way or even just take restore it back to 1.6, is anyone else having this problem.....????
I'm slowly going out of my mind with this streak and wished I'd kept the iphone.....!!!!

Tags
2.1, android, dell streak, eclair, o2 uk, update

« Intel says dual-core Atom should boost netbook business | A few Dell Streak Updates »