News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-09-2009, 03:38 AM

I tried to find a good link for this news article, seems all the bloggy news tech sites are all running the same story, so I don't really know who to credit for breaking the news. And none of them have much info. The long and short of the story is, You STILL can't get more than 16gb if you want Windows, but if you choose linux there is now a 32gb and the very luxurious 64gb option. Prices are a bit high, given that we know the STEC drive is sub-par in performance compared to the RunCore drives available in the aftermarket.
At the same time, it would appear Dell is also offering 2GB of ram as an upgrade option for the Linux users. For the utterly insane price of $75! That would be over 4 times the price that you can get the 2gb stick of ram from NewEgg for.

Buy accordingly.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-09-2009, 04:07 AM

Why credit anyone other than the guy that announced he ordered a Mini 9 with 64GB earlier this week on this board? :mrgreen:

I read my fair share of tech news sites, but heard it here first!

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM

i recently got the runcore 32gb, installed it and made my mini dualboot (xp/ubuntu). I'm very satisfied with the performance, it is a little better than with the stec-ssd but nothing major. If you can operate a screwdriver and install an operating system by yourself (or clone your old HD) I recommend it. If you live in europe like me, the strong euro only helps when ordering in dollars.
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
Why credit anyone other than the guy that announced he ordered a Mini 9 with 64GB earlier this week on this board? :mrgreen:

We have a user news section, he didn't post there. That's how the news works on this site.. Post in the news section or get scooped.

(#5) Old

Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM

I ordered my Mini in Mid-Dec with Windows and the 32gb SSD. It wasn't advertised on their site, but I' m Dell reseller and was told it was available by my rep. (I read this elsewhere as well.) I received my Mini about a week ago. So, just wanted to comment on the OP saying that 32gb still wasn't available with Windows.

Michelle in Northern IL
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Ok, until Dell updates their website, I think I'm justified in saying it's not available. Sounds like they did an under the table drive upgrade for you. This would keep it below Microsoft's radar...

(#7) Old

Send a message via AIM to VinnyQH
Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-20-2009, 05:12 PM

i wonder how much the 64 gig drive will cost as an upgrade.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-21-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyQH
i wonder how much the 64 gig drive will cost as an upgrade.
$115

Black, 2gb RAM, 64gb SS drive, Windows 7, 1.3 cam. Ordered 16 JAN 09; Delivered 23 JAN 09
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 01-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper

I'm the guy that posted the 64GB drive. I was new to the forum and didn't even think to post it to the news forum. I have received my Mini and am very happy with the 64GB drive. I installed XP Pro and it works great.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. - 02-07-2009, 04:20 AM

I just bought this Mini 9 with the 2GB memory and the 64gb drive. One day later after receiving my Mini 9 it has Windows 7 and is a great computer. The screen is bright and reminds me of my Sony Vaio. The key board is a bit tiny tiny, but you can get use to it if you have small hands. This is going to be a killer machine in a year when it comes with Windows 7 and the processor gets a bit more mHz.

Love it.

« Woz signs a Hackintosh! | Free 2GB online storage with Box.net »