News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Dell Streak US Pricing and Pre-Sale Ordering Revealed - 07-27-2010, 06:24 PM

The Direct2Dell site has just been updated with some proper clarification with what is happening with the release of the Dell Streak.

Over the next day, those who signed up to the pre-sale list should receive an email with an unique purchase link allowing them into the 24 hour pre-sale window. The benefits of this unique link are a free upgrade to second day delivery and a code to get a Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece for just 99 cents. The blog post does state however, that this must be redeemed by the 28th July or your order priority will be the same as the general public.

For those of you not signed up, it's due to go down any second now so get on that list if you're still interested.

As for pricing when the ordering does open up, the Dell Streak will be available though AT&T for $299.99 on a 2-year contract and $549 without. It is not clear whether both version will be available through the Dell website or just AT&T for now. No mention of the word "unlocked" has been thrown about either, much the same as the UK release with O2.

Update: The post has been taken down already. Hopefully Dell will have their release plan sorted soon. I am always sure to only post concrete news at MyDellMini, never any rumours but since this was from Dell themselves you'd think it still has a fair amount of legitimacy at this late stage.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default 07-28-2010, 03:42 AM

This is soooo disappointing. Maybe I'm missing some obvious reasoning, but I don't understand how they can sell the Streak at $0 on contract in the UK and then turn around and offer it for $300 here in the US on contract. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? If they want to have any chance against the iPhone and iPad they have to do something smart with the pricing. I was truly hoping all the secrecy around the pricing was because they were going to do something surprising and offer it for less than the iPhone 4 or (in my dreams) for free. Dell is killing this product in every way possible. It's painful to watch. Very disappointed here.
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 07-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Eh? How much is the iPhone on contract? You'd also need to know what a UK customer pays monthly to their carrier.

Smartphones in the US are never free or even very cheap when first introduced. The Streak is perhaps not quite what I'd call a smartphone - it's closer to a tablet.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 07-28-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Eh? How much is the iPhone on contract? You'd also need to know what a UK customer pays monthly to their carrier.

Smartphones in the US are never free or even very cheap when first introduced. The Streak is perhaps not quite what I'd call a smartphone - it's closer to a tablet.
iPhone is $199 for 16gb and $299 for 32gb. UK can get the Streak for free on contract with as little as a £25/month plan for data only. £35/month for data and voice. Similar to, if not cheaper than, our options here.

I know very well that smartphones usually aren't cheap when they're first released (I've worked in sales for one of the big name carriers), but in order for Dell to take customers that may potentially buy the iPhone and persuade them to get the Streak, they need to do SOMETHING. For $50 less (unlocked) you can get the cheapest iPad. For $80 more you can get the iPad with 3G and have 5 inches of more screen. Also, despite the screen size, the iPhone is still a direct competitor with the Streak, having very similar (arguably better) specs. It has a higher resolution (though smaller) screen, far more memory, and HD capture at the same price. I'm DEFINITELY no Apple fanboy, but if you think most people will walk in and look at those options and choose the Streak over the iPhone just because of a bit more screen size, then, unfortunately, you're wrong.

The fact that Streak is launching with 1.6 is probably the biggest problem of them all. I understand how things work. There will be an update, I won't have any trouble, and 2.2 will be rad, but what about someone who isn't quite as tech-savvy? They're not gonna wanna hear, "Yeah you're right 1.6 IS an out-dated OS, don't worry though, an update will come.... soon..... ish..... hopefully.", when they have the option of the iPhone, with its up to date OS, apps galore, interface for a simpleton, and Steve Jobs' "this is what's cool" approval. Why do you think the iPhone sells so well? People come in looking for "THE MIGHTY IPHONE" and when the salesman has nothing he can say to change that person's mind, because they don't really know what a mhz, gb, mp, or "open OS" is, it's very hard to convince them to change their mind and choose something else. Unless you tell them it's just as good, AND CHEAPER. Selling the iPhone is a dream for salesmen, it's already sold before they even open their mouths. There's no reason for them to offer up another device as an alternative and waste time when it's not an easy sell and will be met with nothing but resistance (NO, I WANT THE IPHONE, IT'S THE SAME PRICE BUT MORE GEE BEES! YouTube - iPhone4 vs HTC Evo). Lower price = easy sell, therefore the salesman WILL make the attempt. If they offer the Streak at $100 it wouldn't take too much talking to sell 2 or 3 of them at once (far more money in it for the salesman) when someone comes looking for 1 $200 or $300 iPhone. I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING DELL!!! I'M SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE!!

It's unfortunate Dell is doing what they're doing. They had a chance to steal a bunch of customers and satisfy them with an awesome device.

« Dell Streak Networks, Your Alternatives | Dell Streak now available in Red! »