News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Solderless Touchscreen kit for Mini 9 - 05-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Our sponsors, MDD, have just mentioned that they have Solderless Touchscreen kits for your Dell Mini 9 now available. The Hoda Tecnhology solderless touchscreen kit simply overlays you existing LCD panel and plugs into it's own controller on the back. The touchscreen controller itself comes with 2 internal USB ports, allowing for further mod possibilities! It looks like this piece of kits could be the gateway for Mini 9 modding.

There is a certain level of disassembly, but even for beginner modder's, it's just a few screws here and there.

If you have any questions regarding this product, ask the MDD guys in this thread.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Send a message via MSN to Atan3
Default 05-21-2010, 11:49 PM

Sold out, ETA: May 31st

.... close your eyes and see, when there ain't no light
BB - 216F2EAA

Mini 9|2GB RAM|32GB SuperTalentSSD+San Disk 32GB Flash+San Disk Cruzer 16GB Flash|Windows 7 Ultimate -Slimline|Windows Vista Home Premium -Slimline
  (#3) Old

Default A Couple of Words of Caution - 05-23-2010, 08:29 PM

Check the kit carefully before you disassemble your netbook. My "easy and fun" touchkit arrived Friday afternoon. I installed the drivers (copied them from the DVD onto a USB flash drive) then went to work on the hardware. The touchkit is NOT "easy", it requires completely dismantling the netbook, although that is kind of "fun" in its own way. That's when I discovered the kit was not correct- the connectors didn't fit the system board and the touchscreen panel didn't fit the screen. MDD had sent a kit for a 10" netbook. Tech Support has not answered my email, I guess MDD doesn't work weekends. So now I have my netbook in pieces, probably can't get the correct kit until next month, and I leave on a 2 week business trip June 1.... yes, I do need the netbook on the trip. I guess it's not really "fun" after all.

Mini 9 with 64GB Runcore SSHD, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.6.8 (BIOS A05)
& Windows 7 (with VirtualBox)
  (#4) Old

Default 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM

I ordered one of these after seeing this post. Install was smooth and took about 1.5hrs. This is a nice and easy DIY mod. Here's a screen post 25pt setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Post install.jpg  
  (#5) Old

Default 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetBoi View Post
I ordered one of these after seeing this post. Install was smooth and took about 1.5hrs. This is a nice and easy DIY mod. Here's a screen post 25pt setup.
GadgetBoi can you tell me if the touch screen is USB v2.0 or v1.1? I can't find a spec sheet for the touch screen.

Thanks!
Rob
  (#6) Old

Default 05-25-2010, 04:07 PM

I am so going to buy one as soon as I can. Looks very awesome.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsOnLine View Post
GadgetBoi can you tell me if the touch screen is USB v2.0 or v1.1? I can't find a spec sheet for the touch screen.

Thanks!
Rob
Sorry no luck on the touchscreen itself but the hub that comes with the kit is 2.0 if that helps
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 05-25-2010, 10:46 PM

USB 1.1 would be more than adequate for a touchscreen.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old

Default 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Nice. I'm gonna order one of these this week. It would be nice if there was a swivel mod for the display :P

(#10) Old

Default 05-29-2010, 10:06 PM

So I saw in their thread, someone said that it supports Windows, Mac, and Linux drivers.. so would that mean if I install the touchscreen on the Mini running OS X, that it would work similar to an iPad then, right?

« Dell Streak coming to the UK in June; Europe, USA to follow | The Dell Streak has Landed! »