News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Administrator

Default Intel says dual-core Atom should boost netbook business - 05-01-2010, 06:46 PM

IDG News Service - Intel's plan to improve its Atom processor line, including the launch of a dual-core version this quarter, could help sustain demand for mobile products including netbooks.

Intel CEO Paul Otellini recently said that netbooks seemed to be settling in at about 20% of mobile form factors. Otellini was positive about the company's Atom business, saying he expects significant growth in the netbook market this year. Netbooks are priced between $200 to $500 and are designed for Web browsing and basic productivity applications.

"The next innovation coming to Atom is on dual-core," Otellini said during a financial earnings call on April 13. Atom chips also go into embedded devices, and in the future, into mobile devices like smartphones.

Full story at Computerworld

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#2) Old

Send a message via MSN to Atan3
Default 05-02-2010, 02:21 AM

sweet! hope battery life doesn't plummet as a result though

.... close your eyes and see, when there ain't no light
BB - 216F2EAA

Mini 9|2GB RAM|32GB SuperTalentSSD+San Disk 32GB Flash+San Disk Cruzer 16GB Flash|Windows 7 Ultimate -Slimline|Windows Vista Home Premium -Slimline
  (#3) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 04:43 AM

I wonder what ARM thinks about Intel looking more towards embedded devices and smartphones. Intel is maybe a bit keen, given Dell's outlook on netbooks for the future.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM

They seemed to be heading in the right direction from the 9 to the 10 and now its seems they are going in a different path all together. Most of us just wanted a 10 with something like ion or ion2. I would actually prefer a 9 with an ion. It would be the ultimate travel companion. Its a shame that Dell comes out with all this other stuff. If I want another phone I'll buy it from a cell provider. Dell builds computers......stick with what got you there. Build us a next generation, mild performance mini and we'll buy it!!

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 05-12-2010, 12:21 AM

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default 05-12-2010, 02:33 PM

You link has some interesting facts and some eye catching ideas; but the truth of the matter is until the units appear and get into the hands of consumers a lot of people are going to take a wait and see approach.

I have been in the market for a netbook to replace my 1010 for several months; but have not found anything (at a reasonable price point) that does the job that much better. My netbook is not my do all computer. I have several other computers and a full size laptop. The netbook serves its purpose and is handy because of its size and portablity.

Its nice to have it around when you need a computer but don't need a rock around your neck. And for that I am thankfull; I will probably have a netbook from now on. Sure it has its limits; but then what dosen't. In my book they are worth the money. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 05-12-2010, 06:20 PM

I agree with you - I'm holding on to my Mini 9 until I see what the next generation brings. The current generation (Pine Trail) isn't enough of an improvement for me to want to "upgrade".

I posted this item to give folks here some hint that dual core netbooks are coming, but probably not until late 2010 at the earliest.

Steve
  (#8) Old

Default 05-12-2010, 11:03 PM

Good idea and thanks for the information. I like a lot of the things about a netbook; but I (like you and many others) are going to have to see a major reason to "upgrade".

What we are getting now shows signs of heading in the right driection; but they don't go far enough to warrant the cash outlay. I am not all that sure that just adding a duel core atom processor is going to be enough.

I think more effort in the graphics department may be in order; as well as more options that can be added without you having to disassemble the unit to the degree you have to now. But I would love to be wrong however and what makes it to the market might be just what I am looking for; maybe.

This time I am going to put more effort into researching before I trade in my 1010. I have put alot of work into making the 1010 do what I need it to do. I have linux installed to two SD/HD cards and two USB pendrives plus all the flash and video addins to make them work. The hard drive has XP/Ubuntu 9.04 on it. Not to mention the effort to get 1024X576 with the GMA 500. The next netbook I get is not going to require as much effort to make it the machine I want it to be.

Good luck on our wait. I hope you get what you want in the end also. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#9) Old

Default 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM

I think these additions to the netbook market aren't really moving the market, they are just adding to it. In their most basic form, netbooks are just what is needed to browse the internet cheaply and conveniently, and the original EEEPC range did that. Since then it's just diversified. I can't see the netbook market ever shrinking, even if people buy less of the cheap netbooks here, developing countries are going to be a much much larger market for them.

It's a shame that battery technology can't improve at anywhere near the same pace as the change in speed and capacity!
  (#10) Old

Default 06-16-2010, 02:04 PM

I agree with your post about the battery situation. The main complaint I have about the 1010 is the very low life of the battery (3cell). I would not be surprised if Dell and some others did away with the 3 cell and made all their netbooks at least 6 cell units.
I also believe that is the reason they designed the 1012 like it is so the 6 cell could be hidden out of sight and not look like a growth sticking out like it is on the 1010. While the 1012 might not be as sleek as the 1010 its ability to hide the 6 cell is a nice addition. Now if they had only made it perform (to a measureable degree) better than the 1010. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« Dell Mini 1018 Lands at MDM HQ! | Official O2 Dell Streak Android 2.1 Update Released »