News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old

Default Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-20-2008, 10:10 PM

[news-img:bzxej3l7]http://mydellmini.com/images/news/box_logo.png[/news-img:bzxej3l7]Although it does not appear to have been heavily promoted, Dell have announced in their press release that they have teamed up with Box.net to offer free and exclusive web-based file storage to Dell Mini users.

The plan includes 2GB of remote storage space, although up to 25GB of space can be purchased if necessary.

For more information visit http://www.box.net/dell or read the full press release: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/glob ... =en&s=corp

This facility could prove really useful as an additional storage location especially when you only have up to 16GB of storage space to play with.

There are however a number of other services offering a lot more storage space free of charge, for example AOL's Xdrive allows for up to 5GB.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM

I've just spotted that humyo.com offers a free package allowing for up to 30GB of free storage space.

This allows for 25GB for Photos/Music/Videos and 5GB for other files - by far the best offer I have seen to date.

Something like this would be ideal if you were say travelling around the world, uploading your photos as you go and therefore not filling up the Mini's 16GB SSD, plus you wouldn't have to carry around an external hard drive.

There is however a down side... If you do not log in for 90 days all your stored data is removed!

For further details visit: http://www.humyo.com/pages/en/online-st ... nd-pricing
  (#3) Old

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-23-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by route35
I've just spotted that humyo.com offers a free package allowing for up to 30GB of free storage space.

This allows for 25GB for Photos/Music/Videos and 5GB for other files - by far the best offer I have seen to date.

Something like this would be ideal if you were say travelling around the world, uploading your photos as you go and therefore not filling up the Mini's 16GB SSD, plus you wouldn't have to carry around an external hard drive.

There is however a down side... If you do not log in for 90 days all your stored data is removed!

For further details visit: http://www.humyo.com/pages/en/online-st ... nd-pricing
Signed up to that last night, seems alright, the test is gunna be how quickly the uploads go on the wireless hostels offer because I will need to upload lots of large scale photos.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM

you're planning on traveling australia and new zealand, right? be careful with that... when I was in new zealand in january, I was quite shocked to find that all the internet deals at hotels had caps of 60-100 megabytes per 24 hours or you have to pay for it again. plus it's almost always $20-30 per night, and never free like it is in the US. i had planned on uploading my photos to my computer at home for backup, but ended up having to pick up some USB memory sticks down there to make a 2nd copy, as there was just way too much data to archive over the net (for their internet anyway).
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp
you're planning on traveling australia and new zealand, right? be careful with that... when I was in new zealand in january, I was quite shocked to find that all the internet deals at hotels had caps of 60-100 megabytes per 24 hours or you have to pay for it again. plus it's almost always $20-30 per night, and never free like it is in the US. i had planned on uploading my photos to my computer at home for backup, but ended up having to pick up some USB memory sticks down there to make a 2nd copy, as there was just way too much data to archive over the net (for their internet anyway).
thanks for the warning

I am taking with my a 500gb portable hard drive to keep all my photos backed up, I wasnt going to rely on backing up on the net due to the length of time it will take to upload, only plan on using the internet for blogging, email and news really!
  (#6) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM

At least you have your own laptop I heard the equipment provided in Hostels is often....sticky to say the least!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-23-2008, 02:17 PM

yeah, i ended up shooting 3,300 pics (about 14 gigs), so the 100 mb upload cap was a bummer
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp
yeah, i ended up shooting 3,300 pics (about 14 gigs), so the 100 mb upload cap was a bummer
yea totally, how long were you out there for?
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 09-23-2008, 08:58 PM

two weeks. beautiful country.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Free 2GB online storage with Box.net - 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM

The best online storage solution Ive found was DropBox.
Its nicely integrated with OSX and Windows and it syncs all your data in one folder instantly over the internet.
You get up to two gigs of free online storage for free and it works like a charm.

More Info: getdropbox.com

« Dell rolls out 64gb SSD option - For Linux only. | Hackintosh Guide at Gizmodo »