News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default 02-25-2010, 07:45 PM

The biggest limitation would appear to be the fact that the new GMA500 support in the Adobe Flash 10.1 beta 3 software is limited to Windows 7. At least that's all the reference notes comment on. So anyone running Windows XP would still not see a difference. I have the Mini 9 and Mini 10v, so I'm out of luck either way.

It would be interesting to see if anyone with XP on the Dell Mini 10 can confirm/refute this.
  (#12) Old

Default 02-28-2010, 03:13 PM

As I have pointed out in other threads, if you can find the flash video on the operating system you are using, (In linux it is always stored under /tmp) and play it with the VLC video player, ANY flash video will play perfectly on the mini-9. The fact that flash does not work well on the mini-9 has nothing to do with the hardware, only poor programming on the part of Adobe. In fact while the Adobe player is struggling to play the video, you can fire up the VLC player to play the portion that is being downloaded into the /tmp directly and the VLC player will STILL play it perfectly. personal computer video playback was figured out in the 1980s on the Amiga, with hardware 1000x less powerful that a Mini-9.
  (#13) Old

Default 02-28-2010, 03:15 PM

"Movie Player" also plays the videos perfectly, so it's not like VLC player is that special.
  (#14) Old

Default 02-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Also see this thread:

[all variants] Why can't we configure mplayer/totem/vlc plug-ins to play flash vid? - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums

For other people that use other players besides flash to playback flash video
  (#15) Old

Default 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM

so after seeing this, for the past hour I have been looking for methods to reload XP from the discs that came with my 10v. I have found umpteen different methods, all which seem pretty tedious and none of which are the same from the next.

I have OSX on my 10v right now. I wanted to put XP back on to compare flash performance. I have the 4 discs that came with my 10v: the OS disc/reinstall cd, 2 driver discs, and 1 applications disc.

Everything Ive read says these SRCD discs are the best and easiest way to do it from a USB drive, but they seem to be hard to impossible to get anymore.

Any help with the discs I have?
  (#16) Old

Cool 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoodaddy View Post
so after seeing this, for the past hour I have been looking for methods to reload XP from the discs that came with my 10v. I have found umpteen different methods, all which seem pretty tedious and none of which are the same from the next.

I have OSX on my 10v right now. I wanted to put XP back on to compare flash performance. I have the 4 discs that came with my 10v: the OS disc/reinstall cd, 2 driver discs, and 1 applications disc.

Everything Ive read says these SRCD discs are the best and easiest way to do it from a USB drive, but they seem to be hard to impossible to get anymore.

Any help with the discs I have?
I hate to say it; but if I were going to use a mini a good bit I would invest in a usb DVD DRIVE. (i HAVE); They are very cheap and come in handy when working with your desktop if you only have one optical drive on it, besides saving your mini.

I know times are tough; but they are the best way to restore a system to factory specs and that is why OEM's include them with most systems. I cannot tell you how many times they have saved my systems over the years. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#17) Old

Default 02-28-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
I hate to say it; but if I were going to use a mini a good bit I would invest in a usb DVD DRIVE. (i HAVE); They are very cheap and come in handy when working with your desktop if you only have one optical drive on it, besides saving your mini.

I know times are tough; but they are the best way to restore a system to factory specs and that is why OEM's include them with most systems. I cannot tell you how many times they have saved my systems over the years. fdalbor
You are probably right. Crappy thing is when I bought the USB flash drive to use with OSX I saw a usb dvd drive that cost about $45. The flash drive I bought was $27
  (#18) Old

Default 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM

When I tired 10.1 beta3 with latest GMA500 on mini 12 running win7, not so much improvement was seen. Ummmm, I guess the slow hard drive might be the problem???
  (#19) Old

Default 03-02-2010, 12:56 AM

The one thing I have found consistant in the computer world is that no matter how little you pay for any computer related item; the very next day you see one that is better and costs less.

It is the nature of the beast; but then I guest if we always waited for just the right item, at just the right price we would be waiting for the rest of eternity. Good luck with your efforts. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#20) Old

Default 03-04-2010, 06:50 PM

If any linux users are interested, I found the flash beta 3 to at least support some facebook games which refused to run properly before. I don't know why, but the beta 1 release actually seems to play 720p flash video better.

Like was said above, simply downloading a flash video will make it play flawlessly in movie player.

« Broadcom Crystal HD Accelerator Option Now Available | Dell Adamo XPS Back »