News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Dell Mini 5 Showing Off Flash - 02-18-2010, 02:53 PM

The Direct2Dell Blog has posted a sneak peak video of the upcoming Dell Mini 5 tablet showing full flash content in the Android browser. For such a small device this tablet really packs some power, as is displayed in the video below.

I am personally very excited about this device, I've been looking for a decent phone/netbook bridge as my Sony Ericsson is over a year old and my Dell Mini's aren't quite as portable as I'd like for some situations

I urge you to discuss the Dell Mini 5 at our new site, My Netlet pretty please

Read the full article, which also includes a light Q&A with the GM of Dell Tablet Devices.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Meh. I doubt Flash will be functional in general on a ARM CPU at a couple hundred MHz, with only 128MB or 256MB of RAM. I know it's pointless on my older Nokia N800 tablet (ARM11 @ 400MHz, 128MB RAM).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 04:44 PM

What a huge surprise, marketing flash after the iFlop

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#4) Old

Default 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Personally, I'm a bit tired of hearing about Android. I wonder just how much press it would be getting if it was some obscure company's product versus Google. I've talked to several people at work that tried the Droid and took it back within a week. Just like most things with Google, I think that the hype overshadows the reality of the product so much that people hear the name and somehow think it's good. Anyone here tried chocolate Skittles or Cherry Chocolate Dr. Pepper? Just because a company is good at one thing, doesn't mean they can be good at everything. I've moved away from Google and haven't looked back.

Aside from my feelings about Google's more or less side products, I have serious concerns about privacy. Android phones pipe Exchange e-mail through Gmail instead of allowing direct connection like pretty much every other Exchange-capable phone. I don't like the way they are so cavalier about MY privacy, although I do understand why they feel that way, given that most of their products are "free." So I choose to not use them.

I don't mean to get off topic or rant, but I would have much rather seen something Ubuntu or OpenSUSE based on the Mini 5.

Cheers,
Charlie

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#5) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Everytime I see more of this device I want it more. If it lives up to the hype when it's released, I'd sell my iPhone 3G and replace it with this.

Hey Dell, release it already!

Sold my Mini 9 for a larger netbook, one that's easier on my wrists and hands.
Current Machine: 2010 MacBook Pro 13", 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro x64/OS X 10.6.3

And I play with my girlfriend's Mini 10v ^_^.

Interested in using MATLAB on the Mini 10v? Check out my benchmarks!

« Dell Mini 10 now with 2GB RAM, few catches | Leaked Dell Mini 5 flyer shows off familiar designs »