News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Administrator

Default Nvidia dual-GPU Optimus supports Intel "Pine Trail" - 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM

"Nvidia reckons it has finally cracked the problem of smoothly swapping between graphics chips in notebooks that have more than one GPU. Today, it launched its solution, which it has branded Optimus.

"Now, we're not talking two or more GPUs configured in SLI mode for greater graphics performance. Optimus addresses the use of a discrete graphics chip that operates when you're running software that needs one, and a separate, integrate graphics core that handles all the other tasks, and does so with a much lower impact on battery life.

"Right now, Nvidia's focus is on Intel-made IGPs, specifically those in the 'Arrandale' Core i3, i5 and i7 processors; the 'Pine Trail' Atom N4xx netbook CPUs; and the integrated chipsets connected to old 'Penryn' Core 2 Duo chips."

Full article at The Register

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Well that's prime!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#3) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM

Daddy likes!

My gut says that Apple will also produce MBPs that use Optimus - and that will mean hackintoshing future Ion Netbooks (like a HP Mini 311 2nd gen) will become the new darlings of the hackintosh world. Because we all know that VGA out just doesn't cut it!

« Dell Mini 11 Leaked Accidentally | New Range of Runcore SSD Upgrades Released »