News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Dell Mini 10 to get Trackpad Buttons back? - 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM

As reported by PCPro during their first look at CES, the traditional 2-button trackpad maybe replacing the integrated buttons version on future models of the new Mini 1012. PC Pro questioned the decision to keep the old-style trackpad with integrated buttons in the new design and a Dell Rep answered:
Quote:
"It's coming, it's coming," she said, "it's not a drop-in replacement."
Which I believe can be translated to mean the whole palm rest will need to be redesigned to accommodate physical buttons, which was pretty obvious really.
Personally I didn't find the Mini 10 trackpad too difficult to use, I especially enjoy the multi-touch features like two-finger scrolling. I only really had problems when trying to click and drag things across the screen.

Hit the reply button to let us know if you welcome our two-button overlords!

[via PC Pro]

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-12-2010, 12:43 PM

I certainly would welcome two buttons. Although, I could live with the current trackpad if we could disable the sensing in the corners. I've never seen anything in the drivers for it though. That would make it a lot more bearable.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default 01-12-2010, 03:19 PM

I've gotten used to it and don't mind it so much now. Although had this been proposed when I got my 10, I would have said Hell yeah, get rid of that crap!

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#4) Old

Default 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM

I would definately like to see the 2 buttons back. I tend keep my thumb on the left button while scrolling for quick click action. With the 10v, this causes the pointer to jump. I guess it is a habit I haven't broken yet.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM

This is another reason why I'm waiting for the Mini 1012. I figure, if it can't run OS X oh well, but I'd at least like this and the HD chip.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

« Broadcom's Crystal HD tech to liven up HD capabilities of N450-based netbooks | Dell Mini 1012 is OUT! »