News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to eXplicit
Default Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support - 12-18-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
The Washington Post reported on Thursday that the PC maker is charging customers with a Dell account $12.95 per month to have access to an American agent or $99 per year for customers who buy a new PC from the company.

Those who don't pay the sum will be contacting center agents in India or the Philippines. But before you start your bellyaching, Dell is sweetening the pot: wait times are guaranteed to be 2 or fewer minutes!
[via CNet]

(#2) Old

Default Re: Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support - 12-18-2008, 04:04 PM

People need to send companies like this a message and the only message these companies understand is when you vote with your dollars. I have several Dell's that I like but I won't be buying any more if they keep making short sighted decisions like this.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support - 12-18-2008, 05:03 PM

One thing to consider.... The economy has gone to ****, and if you haven't noticed, most of these companies are laying off people left and right. With a 400 dollar computer that cost over 300 to dell, you can not expect to get someone who is paid 12 dollars an hour every time you make a call about some bs that you did to your system. Tech support is where a company can make money or lose money. Many companies use tech support as their sole source of real income.

For instance, IBM's large systems sales make 1/3 the amount that their large systems support does. Service contracts make most of the money--and buying a 1.2 million dollar tape library system doesn't give you a free warranty, so why should buying a 400 dollar netbook?

Everyone thinks they should get something for free.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support - 12-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
One thing to consider.... The economy has gone to ****, and if you haven't noticed, most of these companies are laying off people left and right. With a 400 dollar computer that cost over 300 to dell, you can not expect to get someone who is paid 12 dollars an hour every time you make a call about some bs that you did to your system. Tech support is where a company can make money or lose money. Many companies use tech support as their sole source of real income.

For instance, IBM's large systems sales make 1/3 the amount that their large systems support does. Service contracts make most of the money--and buying a 1.2 million dollar tape library system doesn't give you a free warranty, so why should buying a 400 dollar netbook?

Everyone thinks they should get something for free.
You hit it right on target
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to clymans Send a message via Yahoo to clymans
Default Re: Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support - 12-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Dell doesn't give you a free warranty either. If you want anything longer than 1 year(30 days in some cases) you pay an upgrade fee to go out to 2, 3 or 4 years. Now this is a hardware warranty, not a support agreement. So, your argument is in essence correct. The problem is the perception they have created. What I think they should have done is market it as "Premium" or "Premier" support and focus on the less than 2 minute wait time and the higher experience level of the technicians and not their locations. They don't note the higher level of expertise in the announcement from Dell. However, in my experience with them, the US-based techs are better trained and more knowledgeable.

Instead of a "U-S-A! U-S-A!" battle, now you're paying to access a higher level of support with a lower wait time. It would just so happen that these techs are all located in the US.

We gladly pay for that by buying Gold Support on all of our Enterprise hardware. I believe they actually used to offer this as an option on consumer systems, as well. I forget what it was called though.

XPS systems have their own support department and they USED to all be US based. Not sure about their locations now. This department is supposed to be specially trained to answer questions from more advnaced users. Again, not sure how that holds up now. It has been several years since I owned an XPS.

Black Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.7 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | 16 GB Class 6 SDHC | A05 BIOS | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: ON | Dell EFI 1.1
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support - 12-28-2008, 12:47 AM

I sent an email to canada_sales@dell.com which was a link on the Dell Canada website, inquiring about the premium customer support, of which I could find no mention on the Canadian site. I was considering buying a laptop, but the dreadful Dell "Customer Service" was weighing large on my decision, and I was considering purchasing the premium support. 2 days later I got an email back from U.S. tech support, of all places, apologizing for my technical problems, and advising me to phone a 1-800 number. This would be funny, were it not apparently so typical. Recently, I tried to return a Targus sleeve I had bought for my Mini (the Belkin bag is much better). Several calls to India, with much time wasted, were, variously, incomprehensible, due to the poor connection, or routed to a voice mailbox that didn't take messages, when I requested to speak with someone in North Amerca. Finally someone in India said they would send me a bar code attachment in an email, which I was to attach to my return parcel. When the email arrived, there was no attachment, only a message saying "Thank you for choosing Dell". I gave up. Dell is a failing company, and I will not deal with them again.

« Dell Mini Shortages? | New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 »