News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default Broadcom's Crystal HD tech to liven up HD capabilities of N450-based netbooks - 12-22-2009, 01:11 PM

NVIDIA's Ion technology may be hogging the limelight when it comes to netbook graphics, but Broadcom's no stranger to the space. After giving Acer's Aspire One HD playback capabilities that it could only dream of just months prior, the company's newly announced Crystal HD platform could provide Intel's Atom N450 with the multimedia boost it badly needs. The nitty-gritty details are still being withheld, but we're told that "top-tier OEMs including Asus, Dell and Samsung" will be slapping this into their upcoming N450-based netbooks. If you're curious as to why you should care, the BCM70015 promises "near flawless" HD video playback, including support for Flash Player 10.1 and Blu-ray flicks. We're told to expect it to start popping up in forthcoming machines throughout 2010, and if you're looking to soak up anything else in the meanwhile, a promotional video awaits you after the break.

[via Engadget]

Hopefully this gives some insight on the mysterious Broadcom Crystal HD technology. As we all know, this will be an option in the upcoming Mini 10 based on the Atom N450.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#2) Old

Default 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM

Very very cool, but not sure if I'd want to pay a massive premium for the option of playing HD vids.

And the video posted really does show how annoying stuttering sound and video can be.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-22-2009, 02:41 PM

Regarding the video. I do not understand why they would use 2 different netbook models (although configured "identically"). I would have liked to see 2 of the exact same netbook, 1 with the Broadcom Crystal HD and one without. I understand that the comparison used in the video is still valid, since the specs are
"identical"... but still.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#4) Old

Default 12-22-2009, 10:58 PM

I'd like to see a netbook with a built in blu-ray player. Sure it would be a bit bulkier than your typical netbook, but it would make a nice portable Blu-ray player/mini computer combo.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-23-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf3g View Post
I'd like to see a netbook with a built in blu-ray player. Sure it would be a bit bulkier than your typical netbook, but it would make a nice portable Blu-ray player/mini computer combo.
and the slim style BluRay player would be valued at more than the entire rest of the netbook... seems strange.

(#6) Old
Administrator

Default 12-23-2009, 12:28 AM

Well, not quite. Maybe a third to a half. (Blu-ray recorders are much more expensive, but players are probably in the $100 range.) Still, since netbooks don't tend to have optical drives at all (no room), asking for Blu-Ray hardly seems appropriate. Consider instead buying Blu-Ray discs with the "digital copy" option - you can then load that onto any netbook and watch.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 10:57 PM

There is little point in watching actual blu ray movies on a netbook, given that you are lucky to get a display that supports even 720p, let alone 1080p.

What I really want to know is if this broadcom chip can decode 720p x264 blu ray rips. That would make me throw out my Mini 9 and get one of the new fangled Mini 10s. If not, I will probably be buying an Acer Timeline or something with a similar form factor in the near future.
  (#8) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
There is little point in watching actual blu ray movies on a netbook, given that you are lucky to get a display that supports even 720p, let alone 1080p.
Yeah, but assuming it's got HDMI out, then you've got a nice portable player that you can hook up to any half decent TV.

The attraction to the portable blu-ray player is mostly that it would allow you to buy only blu-ray discs from now on, instead of a blu-ray disc for the home theater and a DVD version for watching on the plane.
  (#9) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 11:25 PM

Oh yeah, with HDMI out it could become an HTPC, and I would definitely use it for that. I bought and then returned a Blu Ray player because I figured that I would have little use for it once I buy a new computer in the next couple of months.
  (#10) Old

Default 12-24-2009, 03:01 AM

Any idea of this decoder will work for Linux/OS X?

« New Dell Mini 9 and Vostro A90 Extended Life Battery from MyDigital | Dell Mini 10 to get Trackpad Buttons back? »