News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old

Default Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks - 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM

[news-img:h3woh4vw]/images/news/pfft.jpg[/news-img:h3woh4vw]Not long ago the now-defunct WiQuest was bragging about its market leadership in Wireless USB shipment, and its solution was chosen by most notebook manufacturers, like Dell, Lenovo, and Toshiba. Now is never a better time for someone else to fill in the void with WiQuest closing door. Alereon has just sent out a message to global laptop makers that its AL5708 PCI-Express half-minicard just got FCC approval.

Essentially, the chip is ready for use in UWB bandgroups one, three and six - meaning it has met worldwide regulatory standards to operate from 3.1 to 10.6Ghz spectrum. Alereon's CEO has high hopes for the embedded notebook solution, with claims it can hit 140Mbps (17.5MBps) when talking to a native device, and being the only solution to support bi-directional, isochronous data transfers - necessary for proper USB speakers and webcam support. The fabless company will commence shipping the AL5708 WUSB mini card in Q1 2009.

http://www.everythingusb.com/alereon-15847.html

My Dell Mini 9
Black / BIOS A05 / Dual Booting XP Pro and Ubuntu 9.04 / 2GB RAM / 16GB SSD / BT 2.0 / 1.3MP Webcam / US-INTL Keyboard U061H
Extras:
16GB SDHC
Sleeve
External Drive
Skin
Buffalo MicroSD USB Memory Stick w/8GB MicroSD
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks - 12-16-2008, 12:35 AM

Interesting stuff!

If this card works in the WWAN bay of a Mini 9 so-equipped, it could open up some interesting new possibilities for our little netbooks!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks - 12-16-2008, 04:07 AM

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=430-3165

Replaced my original Dell Wireless 370 with one of those WiQuest now-obsolete Dell Wireless 410 WPAN in my Studio: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=297416

Bluetooth headset is working great w/410 but never even bothered testing the UWB function :|

(#4) Old

Default Re: Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks - 12-16-2008, 08:10 AM

UWB is pretty worthless imho. No devices use it, and even if they did, I think I hate the idea of having more battery powered devices.

Inspiron Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 8GB Stock SSD - Bluetooth - Ubuntu 8.10
Lenovo T500 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Windows Vista Business
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks - 12-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow7789
UWB is pretty worthless imho. No devices use it, and even if they did, I think I hate the idea of having more battery powered devices.
They don't necessarily need to be battery powered. If you think of a USB drive for backups, I would be VERY happy to have this in a wireless form that has some reasonable speed. The drive could sit powered up and just wait connections.

« JKK Mobile Review + Benchmark Runcore SSDs | Dell Mini Shortages? »