News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Google Chrome OS Revealed - 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Earlier, Google Chrome OS was showcased to the world in the form of a low-key press event, and a wealth of videos and screenshots. As many predicted, the operating system itself is effectively the Google Chrome browser that we can use to surf the web today. Google see the need for the browser to be the main part of a computer, and aim to deliver the best streamlined internet experience with their OS, with EVERYTHING being run through the browser, from file management tabs to your standard web page.

What's interesting is the way the OS relies 100% on the cloud, local storage is just used to speed up the system, everything is stored on the in Google Docs, Picasa, Gmail etc (maybe Google will release some sort of storage service). Which means the only thing you need to access your files from any Chrome OS computer is your login. Google state they understand that all of this means the OS will really only suite those who use the internet most of the time, and that it will not be widespread and replacing our current computer setups.

Engadget have the whole scoop with a bunch of screenies and another video.

For us, as netbook users, it looks like Google Chrome OS could certainly be a viable choice in the future, especially for earlier netbooks as storage does not come into the equation. However another thing that Engadget reports, is that Google Chrome OS will only work on specifically listed hardware, and that this does not include standard hard disk drives! So you'll have to be running it on something with an SSD, which right now seems rather peculiar. Thankfully at the presentation, the OS was previewed on a flavour of EEE PC, which has pretty much the same hardware as most netbooks out there today.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default 11-20-2009, 12:49 AM

So if my Internet connection is down I can't use my computer ? This idea has been tried before, in the 80's they were called dumb terminals, in the 90's thin clients and today we call it cloud computing. The problem is still the same, if my network connection fails, my machine turns into a paper weight.
  (#3) Old

Default 11-20-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
So if my Internet connection is down I can't use my computer ? This idea has been tried before, in the 80's they were called dumb terminals, in the 90's thin clients and today we call it cloud computing. The problem is still the same, if my network connection fails, my machine turns into a paper weight.
Google have addressed this with Google Gears, you can now work with GMail and Google Docs whilst offline. Hence the Google OS has an option for local storage, to store encrypted temporary/working data.

Have you tried using a computer these days without internet access? It's not much fun
  (#4) Old

Default 11-20-2009, 08:06 AM

seems to me that a bootable usb drive could serve as the ssd.
  (#5) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommissar View Post
seems to me that a bootable usb drive could serve as the ssd.
I didn't think of that, take the cloud with you wherever you go!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#6) Old

Default 11-20-2009, 11:20 AM

The only disappointing thing, in my view, is that we can't install this on our existing netbooks. This is for approved hardware only, and will really only be available on new computers. It sounds like google would like them to make netbooks bigger, too. Sorry I like my mini9 form factor, please.

I'm sure someone will roll their own from Chromium OS, and make it available, but I'm not sure how they would handle updates and Google login, ect. I don't really have a problem with the rest of it, the internet is all I use my mini for. It sounds like there will be a way to play videos, ect, when off line.
  (#7) Old

Default 11-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post
The only disappointing thing, in my view, is that we can't install this on our existing netbooks. This is for approved hardware only, and will really only be available on new computers. It sounds like google would like them to make netbooks bigger, too. Sorry I like my mini9 form factor, please.
You mean approved like OS X on the mini9?

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#8) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 11-20-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post
<cut>

but I'm not sure how they would handle updates and Google login, ect.

<cut>
What do you mean? No updates are actually pushed to the device running Chrome OS... that is the beauty of the whole thing. All of the applications are on the cloud so Google can update them as they see fit and users will not have to install an update.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#9) Old

Default 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty bacon View Post
Google have addressed this with Google Gears, you can now work with GMail and Google Docs whilst offline. Hence the Google OS has an option for local storage, to store encrypted temporary/working data.
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the cloud ? If all my documents are being stored locally, how is that different from what I am doing now ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty bacon View Post
Have you tried using a computer these days without internet access? It's not much fun
LOL, My computer is very usable without the Internet.
  (#10) Old

Default 11-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the cloud ? If all my documents are being stored locally, how is that different from what I am doing now ?

LOL, My computer is very usable without the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
What do you mean? No updates are actually pushed to the device running Chrome OS... that is the beauty of the whole thing. All of the applications are on the cloud so Google can update them as they see fit and users will not have to install an update.
It's a fair assumption that the firmware and browser will need to be updated at some point, don't you think?

« Netbook TV Tuner Success Rates Poll | Limited Edition Deanna Cheuk Dell Mini 10 »