News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Not alone this - what I've understood is, that Meklort's methode uses the original 10.6.2 kernel - NBI rc4 fooling the installer that a CoreSolo is built in.

Worked like a charm - about this Mac now says that the processor is a 'CoreSolo'

Thanks, Meklort. What would the community be without you.

vostro a90 | 2 gb | 16 gb runcore | orig. apple-airportcard ||| mac mini c2d | 24" samsung ||| iphone 3gs
  (#12) Old

Default 11-16-2009, 07:49 PM

And credit to Tea for his patch that allowed the Intel Core Solo id...

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#13) Old

Default 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
You know that the new NetbookInstaller .8.3RC4 fixes all of these issues...
Yes, I saw that. But are we just in for an endless game of cat & mouse like the Palm Pre and iTunes? If they had changed some functionality that the Atom didn't have, that would be one thing, but it truly looks like they check check teh CPU ID and it's "No soup for you ! Atom!" Guess that's their right, but damn draconian of them if you ask me. This isn't just a matter of getting a cheap Mac - it's a Mac they don't, and won't, offer.

Dell Mini 9/2gb/128gb ST/Win7 Speed Demon
  (#14) Old

Default 11-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Thought I'd post my experience as well regarding this.
First off, I had dismissed the system update back whenever my machine suggested it because it was inconvenient... Once things settled down for me, I thought (as a well trained windows system user might) hmm, maybe I better do that patch before whatever internet threats I'm not protected from comes and gets me. Took a while, then I am in a cycle of rebooting (in the middle of the night no less)
So I boot it to windows and look on this site, and found that my laziness in delaying bought me the time such that there was ready information for a work around and ultimately a fix for this particular mac update.

2 things: 1 - I really appreciate the smart and sharing people supporting this capability, I got the machine back in order in short order; 2 - I will remember that I'm not following the prescribed OS/hardware in this, so even though it's a finely working system I need to look before I do any system updates next time.

I've been working with computers for a long time now(from DOS to IBM ?series to windows), my wife - just getting to touch them without getting frustrated. I got a mini for her so she could do the basic web and email thing after our son absconded her machine (with much better gaming abilities.) So far, she's happy with the OS that dell supplied on her machine.

I got another one for me to try this mac trick on. I never used a mac long enough to see if I liked it or not. When I got to play with this little netbook and get a glimpse of the underlying unix, what a fun thing this has turned out to be. And I've gotten a big appreciation for the apple technology that I would quite likely consider the platform for my next personal system choice, and quite likely my future decisions regarding business platform choices and technology have been broadened by the experience.
In my case, a $250 netbook, new hard drive, 2gb memory, a purchased mac OS license, and a whole lot of time: have been my inexpensive introduction to Apple's world. I wouldn't have picked up one of Apple's $999 entry machines for an amusing amusing test drive.

I'd hate to see if Apple decides to thwart this too much. In my case, this opens a door to further direct Apple profits.

Thanks all.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 - Win XP | 2GB RAM | 320GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake from Sleep: OFF |
  (#15) Old

Smile 11-17-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demort View Post
Thought I'd post my experience as well regarding this.
First off, I had dismissed the system update back whenever my machine suggested it because it was inconvenient... Once things settled down for me, I thought (as a well trained windows system user might) hmm, maybe I better do that patch before whatever internet threats I'm not protected from comes and gets me. Took a while, then I am in a cycle of rebooting (in the middle of the night no less)
So I boot it to windows and look on this site, and found that my laziness in delaying bought me the time such that there was ready information for a work around and ultimately a fix for this particular mac update.

2 things: 1 - I really appreciate the smart and sharing people supporting this capability, I got the machine back in order in short order; 2 - I will remember that I'm not following the prescribed OS/hardware in this, so even though it's a finely working system I need to look before I do any system updates next time.

I've been working with computers for a long time now(from DOS to IBM ?series to windows), my wife - just getting to touch them without getting frustrated. I got a mini for her so she could do the basic web and email thing after our son absconded her machine (with much better gaming abilities.) So far, she's happy with the OS that dell supplied on her machine.

I got another one for me to try this mac trick on. I never used a mac long enough to see if I liked it or not. When I got to play with this little netbook and get a glimpse of the underlying unix, what a fun thing this has turned out to be. And I've gotten a big appreciation for the apple technology that I would quite likely consider the platform for my next personal system choice, and quite likely my future decisions regarding business platform choices and technology have been broadened by the experience.
In my case, a $250 netbook, new hard drive, 2gb memory, a purchased mac OS license, and a whole lot of time: have been my inexpensive introduction to Apple's world. I wouldn't have picked up one of Apple's $999 entry machines for an amusing amusing test drive.

I'd hate to see if Apple decides to thwart this too much. In my case, this opens a door to further direct Apple profits.

Thanks all.
Well said! My mini 10v is on the way and will be following the Mechdrew guides soon.

« Upgrading your Dell Mini's BIOS | Netbook TV Tuner Success Rates Poll »