News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Broadcom Puts 802.11n Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth on One Chip - 12-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Combining 802.11n Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth on a single chip, Broadcom employs single-stream 802.11n to transmit and receive data since handheld devices still lack the space, battery power and processing power to support 802.11n implementations with multiple antennas.
Looks to be a viable upgrade for the Mini 9!

[via eWeek]

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Post Re: Broadcom Puts 802.11n Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth on One Chip - 12-11-2008, 12:24 AM

Don't care. Want WWAN and worldwide 3G on one chip instead. So we don't have to be upset our WWAN port isn't soldered down...

Seriously, we already have bluetooth available. And 802.11n cards, including those with Broadcom chips--I've got one installed in my Mini 9 right now. So really the only add is FM radio? Really? Were there a lot of requests for that?

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Broadcom Puts 802.11n Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth on One Chip - 12-11-2008, 01:01 AM

i like the possibility that it is an upgrade but the way that they were wording it in the article it sounded like it was more for phone solutions for a smartphone or PDA and not so much as a laptop option. but I'm not say that is isn't an ingenious idea. what ever can lighten machine is amazing. get the mini so light that it floats to the ground and you never have to worry about dropping it
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Broadcom Puts 802.11n Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth on One Chip - 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM

The article also mentions low power consumption - if wifi and bluetooth combined use less power than separate components and also take up less space - plus add FM - that sounds really good to me. Particularly with concerns about battery life. This may have been designed for phones, but as the netbook market grows I'll bet they quickly adapt these type of chips for uses such as the Mini 9.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Broadcom Puts 802.11n Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth on One Chip - 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM

Has anyone put this in a Mini 9 yet? My Mini came with "G" WiFi but I have an "N" capable wireless router and might take advantage of this if it isn't too pricey.

Mini 9 White, Windows XP, 2GB RAM, RunCore64GB SSD, 32GB SDHC, WiFi "G" internal, BlueTooth, 1.3 WebCam
  (#6) Old

Send a message via AIM to VinnyQH
Default Re: Broadcom Puts 802.11n Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth on One Chip - 01-21-2009, 05:51 AM

has anyone seen anything on pricing of this badboy yet?

« Mini 12 gets Ubuntu and XP option, now $499 | Top Dell execs leave as PC maker restructures »