News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default Windows 7 on the Dell Mini 10v - 10-19-2009, 11:24 PM

We've already seen plenty of Windows 7 laptops and desktops up for order, but it looks like we're now finally starting to see how things will shake out on netbooks as well. After much confusion in the early days of Windows 7, it appears that Windows 7 Starter edition will indeed be the standard issue offering on the majority of netbooks, and it looks like it'll also demand a slight premium over otherwise comparable XP-based systems. In most cases, Windows 7 Starter seems to add $30 to the cost of a netbook (as with the Dell Mini 10v pictured above), or $50 in Canada if the first few listings on Future Shop are any indication -- which, as Digital Home Thoughts points out, would appear to be quite a bit more than the license fee manufacturers are paying. Of course, there are also a few netbooks that break the mold with Windows 7 Home Premium, and it unsurprisingly appears to be the standard offering on low-cost thin and lights that eschew the netbook moniker altogether. Hit up the link below for a rundown of some of the options already available to order, which is sure to grow considerably in the next few days.

[via Engadget]

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#2) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 12:44 AM

I just had a quick google for the features missing from starter edition, and found the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows Team Blog
  • Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
  • Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
  • The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
  • Multi-monitor support.
  • DVD playback.
  • Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
  • Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
  • Domain support for business customers.
  • XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.
Source: Let?s talk about Windows 7 Starter - Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog
The first two are particularly major IMO. Windows 7 without Aero enabled is actually rather a poor user experience, because the thumbnails and peeking help so much with finding the window you're looking for. Also, I can't believe that you don't get the option to change your desktop wallpaper!

Considering that the Atom processor and GMA950 are more than capable of handling the full features of even the most advanced version of Windows 7, I think it's inexcusable to charge more for this crippled OS than the fully-featured XP, especially as many purchasers of netbooks won't realise they're buying a turkey and paying over the odds for it! At the very least they should offer a proper version of 7 as well. Very disappointed, and I hope other companies will have the vision not to jump on this 'Non-starter Edition' bandwagon.

~Loz

Red 16GB Dell Mini 9 - Windows 7 Professional, 2GB RAM, 32GB SDHC, Bluetooth

Add me on: Twitter/Last.fm/Flickr/Facebook

(#3) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 01:51 AM

The lack of DVD playback is lame. I suppose 3rd party solutions will substitute.

But the lack of multi-monitor support is very lame, as anyone who's done a Powerpoint on a projector can attest.

No fast-user-switching is kinda lame... but not so big a deal on a netbook, I suppose.

As for the missing "personalization features" I assume you can still change your background image, but just can't use some of the more gee wiz personalization features of 7. If I'm mistaken on this account, then that's super lame.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 03:20 AM

Well...as everyone should have known that it's just another trap from MS to "force" people into buying larger notebooks...

mini 10 (1010, AU)|1GB RAM|160GB HDD|BlueTooth|DVB-T|GMA 500|1024x576

Inspiron 1300n|1GB RAM|60GB HDD|DVD+RW|GMA 900|1280x800

Both run with Windows XP Home SP3 + Windows 7 Ultimate RC dual-OS.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf3g View Post
As for the missing "personalization features" I assume you can still change your background image, but just can't use some of the more gee wiz personalization features of 7. If I'm mistaken on this account, then that's super lame.
You really can't change the wallpaper, it's ludicrous! No idea what the justification is for that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza.STi View Post
Well...as everyone should have known that it's just another trap from MS to "force" people into buying larger notebooks...
MS has stated that this isn't and shouldn't be thought of as the 'netbook SKU'. It's more for emerging marketplaces. I guess you're always gonna get companies speccing the cheapest version to cut costs. I would have expected more from Dell though!

(#6) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoz View Post
I would have expected more from Dell though!
We have no idea who, Dell or Microsoft, set the rules for Win7 on netbooks, so don't blame it on Dell and, no, I'm not a Dell fanboy just stating facts. Clearly, the limitations for Win7 on netbooks are not technical, they are marketing and, for everyone on this forum, irrelevant.
  (#7) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM

After seeing how well the full OS scales to different machines that comes off as more of a joke or maybe even an insult, both to the hardware and it's users.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 10-20-2009, 01:26 PM

It's simply a matter of cost. I don't know why Dell doesn't allow you to pay more up front and get Home Premium.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
It's simply a matter of cost. I don't know why Dell doesn't allow you to pay more up front and get Home Premium.
Agreed. I'm willing to bet Windows 7 Starter is actually cheaper than XP Home, though...

(#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-20-2009, 01:53 PM

It's always a matter of cost. And the company NOT delivering what the consumer wants. Granted, some of us aren't your average consumer who doesn't know their asshole from their elbows, but there are plenty of us that do.

Either way, that's why I'm using my copy of Ultimate from the launch event.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides

« ZoomText Screen Magnifier for Netbooks | Dell Mini 9 on Sale for 4 Days! »